Can I still replace the AntiVirus component in Live One Care with AVG Pro without creating a conflict? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can anyone tell me what will happen to my One Care, if I install the AVG Pro that I have paid for but not installed yet? I know you should not have 2 AntiVirus programs running at the sametime, but I worry the Live one Care AntiVirus is not as good as the AVG which I have used before.  Any help out there, I appreciate.

Thank You,

Roger.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:56 PM

Answers

• You should not have two real-time signature based Anti-Virus programs installed and running at the same time due to the possibility of contention between them.  That applies to OneCare, AVG, and others.  Instead you should use the online scanners to double check your installed A-V detections, as they do not provide real-time proactive protection and don't conflict with installed applications.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal:_Online_Anti-Virus_Scans

OneCare is not a mix and match solution, so if you chose to use the features of OneCare you will have to remove AVG.

Monday, September 1, 2008 12:01 AM

All replies

• You should not have two real-time signature based Anti-Virus programs installed and running at the same time due to the possibility of contention between them.  That applies to OneCare, AVG, and others.  Instead you should use the online scanners to double check your installed A-V detections, as they do not provide real-time proactive protection and don't conflict with installed applications.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal:_Online_Anti-Virus_Scans

OneCare is not a mix and match solution, so if you chose to use the features of OneCare you will have to remove AVG.

Monday, September 1, 2008 12:01 AM
  • Dave__M, Thanks for the advice.  I guess my question would have been easy to understand if I had phrased it like this: Since AVG Pro is listed as a Microsoft Partner, can I just remove the AntiVirus definations/scanner component in One Care, then install the AVG and monitor it outside of One Care, or will the remaining components in One Care, (the TuneUp etc.) not function like the do now?  There should not be a conflict that way, should there be?

Thanks,

Roger.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Even re-phrased, the answer pretty much remains the same.  With the exception of the Backup function, currently there is no way to turn off the protective components of OneCare including the Anti-virus function and not get both a red status indicator and repeated warning messages.  Not having any idea of what the red status means negates the ability of OneCare to alert you to a severe problem, since visually it would look like your usual OC/A-V was turned off with AVG substitued red status. 

OneCare is not designed to be a mix and match protection product.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 7:49 AM