Custom Task Status? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to add a custom status to a Task.  Standard options are Completed and Canceled.  I would like to add a third option under Canceled.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:32 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately not. It's not possible to customize the Status value of any entity. But you can add new Status Reason values.

In particular with activities that synchronize with Outlook, because you couldn't customize the status of Outlook tasks so the synchronization wouldn't work as expected. 

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. Join me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:27 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately not. It's not possible to customize the Status value of any entity. But you can add new Status Reason values.

In particular with activities that synchronize with Outlook, because you couldn't customize the status of Outlook tasks so the synchronization wouldn't work as expected. 

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. Join me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Thanks Neil.  Doesn't seem to be possible to customise the Status Reason on the Task though either, options are ghosted.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Sorry, I should have checked whether Status Reasons on tasks were customizable before speaking out of turn. You're right: they are not. Probably to do with the Outlook sync. But they are on most other entities :)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:47 AM
  • No probs, thanks for the answer :)
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Why is it that in the table showing all the Fields for the Task entity it lists statuscode as being Customizable, even though it's apparently not?

Is there no way to add new Status Reasons to the task entity?  Or perhaps a way to edit the Option Set which relates the status code to the status reasons? e.g. links "Open" to "Not Started", "In Progress" etc.

I really want to add "Waiting for Approval" and "Waiting for information" to the list but can't see how.

Ben

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Ben, I'm not sure which table you are referring to, but it's not possible to create custom Status options on any entity or custom Status Reason options on the standard activity entities.

You could create a custom activity entity, and modify the Status Reason options to meet your requirements. The downside is that custom activities do not sync to Outlook.

Or you could add a custom field to the Task entity to meet your requirements.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:45 PM