Backup Freezes / locks up computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've got a homebrew WHS that I've been using since the first beta program came out,  which I upgraded to the final version when it was released. Aside from issues when new versions of the connector software have come out I've never had any problems that I can recall with backups.

I've discovered today that my main computer, a Vista laptop, hasn't completed any backups since the 19th. I've tried running a manual backup but it freezes at 54% and locks up the laptop. I had found that the laptop was locked up when I came downstairs in the morning for the past few days but hadn't thought anything of it as it's never shut down after the backups have run in the past and has occasionally locked up.

It wasn't until I went to restore a file from backup this morning that I discovered my backups were out of date.

I have to force a power off to get the laptop going again and chkdsk runs during bootup (although I don't recall seeing it say it has found any errors).

I've tried using the Repair option from the Settings -> Backup tab in the console in case there was a problem there but that hasn't worked either. If I look in the backup details for the failed jobs it says "The network connection between the computer and server was lost. No reconnection within timeout period", which makes sense since the client computer is locking up. Unfortunately it doesn't help me figure out why it's happening.

The other computer on my network, an XP desktop, is still backing up properly.

I've not installed any new software recently.  I did have a problem for a few days this week where Windows defender seemed to be convinced I didn't have a Firewall or AV installed (in fact I did/do - I'm running Kaspersky and it's fully up-to-date).

I'm running with PowerPack 3, versions for all components are 6.0.2423.0 except for the Storage Manager which is 6.0.3039.0

Can anyone help?

thanks

Monday, August 30, 2010 4:12 PM

All replies

• What you describe is suggestive of a problem with the laptop. I would start by opening an elevated command prompt and running chkdsk /r on the drive. You'll be told that the drive can't be checked and asked if you'd like to schedule it for the next reboot. Answer yes and reboot the laptop. Once chkdsk has finished and the laptop has rebooted into Windows, check the application event log for any recent messages from the winlogon source.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 30, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Hi.

chkdsk has finally finished running and I've got into Windows.

I get 2 winlogon events. I'm guessing we're interested in the one with Event ID 6000 which gives the message "The winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unavailable to handle a notification event. Event ID 6000" rather than the Event ID 4101 "Windows license validated."?

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:25 PM