none
Windows Home Server Connector Setup Fails

Question

•  

Hello everyone.

I have had WHS running for about a year now. Within the last week, the connector on my Dell Laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium, stopped working. There is nothing to relate this to unless there was an automatic update on the server or the laptop that has caused a conflict. I did roll the laptop back a few days, but that didn't affect anything.

The WHS has been running PP3 since November, so it's not any of the PP3 time issues.

I uninstalled Connector on the laptop. Using the files from the server Shares/Software/Home Server Connector Software Folder I first tried running "setup.exe" to reinstall the Connector. This results in the need to enter the Server password which is then rejected as being invalid; to verify, I it changed it on the server and tried again with the same result.

Next I tried to install the connector by running WHSConnectorInstall.exe from the Home Server Connector source. When I do this, I get the Windows error message: “An error occurred. This operations cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists...”

I did uninstall the connector using the registry and deleting all the relevant directories in Program Files and Program Files (x86), then tried both of the above installation methods again, with the same failed results.

I've also looked at similar problems others have had (system time, firewall-configuration, anti-virus, user name resolution), but except for the system time thing, not much that seems just related to Windows 7 or at least no solutions that fixed my problem.

I also did the connector troubleshooting:

//server:55000/enrollid/id.xml returns “1”

//server:56000/enroll/id.xml returns “2”

I can ping the server by name, remote desktop it, access all the mapped drives between the server and the laptop (both directions), I just can't get Connector reinstalled so I can do backups. Also, I can access the shares through the website and my personal website still works.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tom

Monday, April 5, 2010 6:52 PM

All replies

• Are the time and dates on the server and client correctly set?
    --
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:33 AM
  • Yes, rechecked. Internet time within seconds, central timezone, DST, AM/PM match, day month and year confirmed. Thanks for the response. Tom
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Update. Internet times match, central timezone, DST, AM/PM match, day month and year confirmed.

I've also gone used the WHS Toolkit and it discovers no problems except "the wrong version of connector is installed", which doesn't make sense, since there was nothing installed (removed via regedit, plus all hard drive WHS directories).

I did yet another reinstall attempt and stopped it after once again it said my password was invalid. That left a new copy of the WHS folder on the drive and a greyed out (not green) WHS connector icon in the system tray. Then I ran Discovery.exe and of course got the same invalid password result.

In this condition I can open the Console, but when I enter the password, I get the message "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on..." At this time I can see the mapped folders, remote desktop, and access shared folders from the WHS website.

Maybe I should roll back WHS to a state before this occurred?

Note that I can remote desktop to WHS and access the shared folders by mapping the drives or from the WHS website - no password problems there using the same WHS password.

Tom

Thursday, April 8, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Try uninstalling all traces of the connector software from your client PC.  Reboot then try to install from http://servername:55000/

You might also want to turn off any A/V or firewall before trying the install.

--
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 11:49 PM
  • I did all the above twice now, with firewalls and AV off on the server and the client. Still can't install and still get the same results and can't install the connector. Pretty strange. I've never been able to figure out why it quite working early April.

Thanks,

Tom

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:37 PM
  • You might try chkdsk /f on the pc to see if there's something going on with the hard drive.

Cruise
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:10 PM
  • im having the same trouble  but ive never had it working i just built my hs and did all updates two days ago.

Im running 7 ultimate and whs power pack 2. if i fid out whats up ill post.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:30 AM
  • I am having the same trouble on all my connected computers (1 Vista, 1 Win7, 1 XP SP3). I could excuse the Win7 machine since I upgraded it from Vista before Consolde installation failed with that same error msg quoted earlier.

But the Vista machine was just fine before - only thing that changed is an automatic update on the WHS machine...

Strangely, I CAN connect to the server and download the connector software (after a few failed attempts to install "wrong version" from MS site using CD)...

Cheers,

LMH

"The price of comfort is eternal maintenance" (LMH, ca. 1982)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 3:13 AM
  • Thanks, Cruise. chkdsk /f found no problems. Tom
    Monday, April 26, 2010 1:16 PM
  • I  hope someone smarter than me has this problem and can find a fix. It seems to be fixed by a date time fix to set both the machines to the same zones/times fixes it for some folks, username/password corrections for others. I have none of those problems that I can determine. Even going through the entire WHS connector problem setup troubleshooting turns up no problems. Corrector will simply not install on my Windows 7 machine. As with your Vista machine, my Win7 was working with WHS with no problem until that day it just stopped.

Even using regedit to remove all WHS traces from the Win7 machine didn't make a difference.

Until a fix is found, I'll backup the Win7 machine with a Bounceback image.

I too can connect to the server drives to access the connector software and the WHS website and shares are accessible via the internet. Very strange.

Tom

Monday, April 26, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Please try:

1. disconnect your LAN from the internet (physically), then try again.

2. If this works please check if NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled for the network adapter you are using to connect to your server. If not please enable, the try again, now with network connected to the internet again. Also check if primary DNS server refers to your router and modem (and not only to external servers)

3. If 2. doesn't fix please try entering a line mapping your server's IP to its hostname in the hosts file (C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ or %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\)

More troubleshooting tips overhere.

I guess you used https://server:56000/enroll/id.xml and not //server:56000/enroll/id.xml? This is supposed to prompt for userid and pwd.

Monday, April 26, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Thanks Brubber, I'll try the disconnect soon. We're in the process of moving the next few days, so will do the disconnect when we shut down the work computers (connected to remote servers so no offline at the moment) for moving, then will try your numbers 1-3.

As for the 56000 steps, yes, used the first configuration https://server:56000/enroll/id.xml  and that returned -2-.

• Proposed as answer by gamemaster000 Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:59 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:22 AM
  • Tom,

I had the EXACT same problem as you and I just solved it tonight.  In my case, it was actually a permissions problem with my local account.  I noticed that my local account didn't have the correct permissions to the Program Files\Windows Home Server folder (It couldn't display the correct owner for the directory in the security tab), so after monkeying around with it for several hours, this was my eventual solution.

Since I use a Win7 box, I needed to enable the local administrator account, it's disabled by default in Win7 I think, and set a password for it.  To do this, right click on My Computer, go to Manage, then expand Local Users and Groups, then go to the Users folder, then right click on the Administrator account, then go to properties and uncheck "Account is disabled".  OK that, then right click the account again set a password (you should always know what the local admin password is on your workstations).  Once this was done, for good measure I copied the connector software to the local hard drive (probably not necessary).  I then logged out of Windows, then logged in as the local administrator was then able to install the software from the local hard drive.  This time it installed correctly with no problems.

One thing to note, this only worked as the default local administrator account.  I tried to create a seperate admin account (one just named admins), but it had the same problem as my main account and it wouldn't install the software.  It would only install when I was signed on as the local administrator account.

This is very strange behavior for Win7.  I'm guessing that my Windows installation may be hosed and probably will need a reinstall as I've been noticing some other permissions related problems recently (itunes crashing and needing reinstalls...).  I have several other Win7 machines, also running the connector software and none of them had any problems uninstalling/reinstalling, so it was just isolated to this one machine.

Anyway, hope this helps you and/or others!  Good luck!

Conrad

• Proposed as answer by gamemaster000 Saturday, May 8, 2010 7:22 AM
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 7:20 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions, Conrad. I followed them exactly, including installing from the Win7 c drive. Nope, still doesn't work. At least now I have a local default administrator account, which will no doubt come in handy in the future. I'll go back through all this in a couple of weeks. We're in the process of moving, so I'm down to packing all the computer equipment.

I'm pretty sure my Win7 is messed up as well, as I have some other rather complicated issues. I've been reluctant to do a clean install since I have programs like Rosetta Stone, which require  me to "deactivate" and write down a long hex code in order to reinstall after a disk wipe or computer change. Very irritating.

Will come back to all this when the move is done and the network is back up.

Regards,

Tom

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:58 PM
  • I too am having the "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on..." problem on one laptop that started to fail backups this weekend.  All 3 other computers on the network have no problems and work fine with WHS.  I have tried all the above ideas and have not had any success.  The install gets to the last step and throws the quoted error.  The connector software comes from server/55000 on the WHS box, so it's the right one but the WHS toolkit says it's not.  I've wiped out all traces of WHS one the laptop to no avail, still won't install with the same error.  Laptop is running Windows 7 Pro, there was an unnamed update to all my Win 7 boxes this weekend, required a shutdown to install, all the other computers (all desktops) are fine just this one laptop won't install the connector.  I tried to reinstall for the same reasons as the OP, connector was failing during backups.  This is my daughters school laptop and I would really like to get it back in working order.  I have one good backup on the server I could restore to it if that works, system restore for the laptop does no good.  Help!
    Friday, June 4, 2010 4:19 AM
  • Found out what my problem was, wasn't looking for it on a new motherboard.  The on-board NIC was flakey/bad, kept randomly disconnecting for no reason I could see.  All the computers in the network lost the connector at the same time and the server lost all connectivity to the lan even though both it and the router still said they were connected.  Dropped in a Rosewill PCI-express NIC from my drawer of parts and everything is fine, connector loads fine, no drops, no lost connector and backups run faster and to completion. The NIC can be found at Newegg.com ($20) or on eBay (for the exact same card) for $10.  Really any PCI or PCI-express card will do.  Many motherboard built-in NIC are crappy.  If your problems are remotely connection related and you have access to a spare NIC, drop it in and try it, if it works disable the on-board and go.  A lot of these problems can be due to random drops or loss of connectivity from a bad card, a brief drop and WHS gives up on the transfer.  Hope Vail will be a little more lenient in this and I hear it will resume interrupted backups, sweet.  Anyways, that fixed my problem hope it can help someone else. Now if I can figure out why the WHS is throwing an error on start-up looking for a drivers for printers on another network computer I'll be golden.  It's not a hobby, it's an adventure.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 10:37 PM
  • I did 1 & 2 with no results.

I'm not too sure what to do with 3. Is this to the host file on the WHS or the client? Does it map the WHS to its own name, such as 192.168.1.120 servername?

As to the troubleshooting link, I've been through that a couple of times. I've also run Discover.exe and the WHS toolkit without finding any errors.

On your last line above, the 56000 items all return the correct -1-/-2- but never asked for the userid and password, almost as if I was connected. Yet the Connector install fails on the "password is incorrect" or "try again later" responses, depending on whether setup.exe or WHSConnectorInstall.exe are selected from the WHS/shares/software/home server connector software folder.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I suppose I'm missing some simple thing somewhere, but I note that others also seem to have this connector problem with some clients.

Thanks again,

Tom

• Proposed as answer by RogerB747 Sunday, August 8, 2010 6:09 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 5:54 PM
  • I solved the connector issue by going to http://severname:55000.  When I ran it I found I needed to enable intranet (came up as a suggestion in internet explorer).  Connected immediately after this.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 6:13 PM
  • Roger,

I didn't have the "intranet" problem. I just get the link to download the connector software - again - which still will not install, just returns the message “An error occurred. This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists...”

Monday, August 9, 2010 10:28 PM
  • Any luck yet Tom?  I'm in the same boat of "none of the above works', even after a clean install on a client.
    Mark
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Nope, no luck. I've gone back and tried a few things again (and again and again) - what is that they say about pushing the same non-working button over and over??

I think I'm down to doing a WHS reinstall, but I'm holding off since I host a website for friends and extended family and I figure it will be some work to get it going again. For now, I back up the client machine with Bounceback Pro and also Mozy, so I'm not too worried about the backups. I had thought about the client reinstall, but I'll take that off my list since your try didn't help.

Also, from about the time my client connector failed (and could not be reinstalled), my WHS often is very slow. When I check it, my dual processors are maxed out mostly on search indexing (since uninstalled) and demigrator.exe, and some other WHS functions that didn't used to take up all the processor bandwidth. Oh well, I'll just have to build a Vail machine in the next year or two.

Regards, Tom

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:28 PM
  • I was looking at the WHS reinstall as well, but figured since I can still Remote Desktop and map folders (only the connector on the clients are really being stupid), I'll leave it till time permits to investigate further or I get a new Vail WHS.  So much for promoting this as a setup and leave it alone solution for the family.  I don't need to be spending this much time doing IT stuff at home, lol!

Mark
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:48 PM
  • I'm in the same boat already since week(end)s and evenings: have successfully upgraded my HP MSS EX470 to the 3.0 software. I can access all the server shares and can even use the web client. But the Win 7 machine which I was using to install/upgrade is not able to install the Console Connector software - not from the install disk and not fom the software share and even not via http://severname:55000. The setup 1) finds the server, 2) downloads all the needed software, 3) asks for the password (shows also to me the hint) but 4) then it fails - whatever password I type in, even an empty one results unchecked in “An error occurred. This operations cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists...”.

Used the ConnectorTroubleshooter and it tells me that my connector version is not matching the server version?
    I have searched this forum and others, and have not found a solution to this one! Hopefully someone here will finally in the near future know how to get past this.

So everything is working except I can't install the Connector on any machine. While I was using my WHS (HP MSS) in it's original version (1.2?) I was able to install/reinstall the connector as often as required without having any problem. But after upgrading to 3.x version ... Have only W7 machines available now. But installed an XP machine with resulting in the same situation and after setting up a Vista machine I ended up in the same situation!?

My actual workaround is to rdp into the WHS and using the console in that session. This is working well ....

I made some screenshots describing my system ... and used the ConnectorTroubleshooter in it's advanced mode from within a cmd prompt. Would like to attach here my screenshots and the log file of the ConnectorTroubleshooter - but how? Any hint to show them is appreciated ... so that hopefully someone will explore any problem resolution hint and will then please share it with this community.

Kind regards, IngoS

!!! Attached my Screenshots and the Log-File into this posting :

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8585

• Edited by Ingo Schreiber Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:03 AM added a link to attachments
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Issue fixed in an incredible way: since the ConnectorTroubleshooter complained always not matched versions - but they definitely belong to each other - I intuitively on the WHS in the C(SYS)-Drive next to the SubDir "Programs" in parallel created a SubDir "Program Files" and into that one I then copied the complete "Windows Home Server" directory from "Programs"... and guess what? Everything is working now well as expected ...
    • Proposed as answer by Ingo Schreiber Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:47 AM
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:46 AM
  • That doesn't apply to my configuration, since all those files are already in the directory Program Files. Tom
    Monday, August 30, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Tom,

Got my WHS backup and running -->  the issue comes from IIS.  Looking at the Event Log on the WHS showed an IIS Config error 4275.  A combination of that IIS error, the WHS connector error message and some googling turned up basically replacing (renaming) a current IIS file with a previous one.

I followed the instructions below at this website  (its for an Exchange Server 2003, but worked for my WHS)

http://www.networknet.nl/apps/wp/archives/tag/4275

I can now install/use the connector, backup my computers again, remote access works as my ports forward correctly (uPnP) again as a bonus.  Looks like a power bump/failure while the WHS is running can corrupt this file causing all this fun.  

Hope this assists your endeavors!

Mark
    • Proposed as answer by CrashConrad Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:35 PM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Hi Mark, just got to your message. Unfortunately for me, neither the event log nor the history files go back to when I started having this problem. I suspect I'll have to do a reinstall (reluctant, since WHS is hosting a family web site) at some point.

Thanks,

Tom

Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:25 PM
  • I had the exact same problem as Ingo Shreiber after upgrading one on my PCs from Vista HP to Win7 Professional. After upgrading to Win7 as a fresh install the Win 7 machine was not able to install the Console Connector software - not from the install disk and not fom the software share and even not via http://severname:55000 . The setup 1) finds the server, 2) downloads all the needed software, 3) asks for the password (shows also to me the hint) but 4) then it fails - whatever password I type in, even an empty one results unchecked in “An error occurred. This operations cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists...”. I found this very odd as the same PC had worked OK under Vista and my 3 other Win7 PCs had no problem either.

I tried all the fixes posted above to no avail and then found this one which worked:

To solve it I only had to add %SystemRoot%\MakeCert to my system path.

1. Log in to the Windows Home Server using Remote Desktop.
    2. Click "Start ", right-click on "My Computer " and select "Properties "
    3. Click on the "Advanced " tab
    4. Click the "Environment Variables " button
    5. In the "System variables " section at the bottom of the dialog window, scroll down until you see the "Path " field
    6. Select the "Path " field and click the "Edit " button.
    7. Items in the path are separated by a ";" otherwise known as semicolon. Add the path using one of the methods below.
      ";%SystemRoot%\MakeCert " to the very end, OR
      "%SystemRoot%\MakeCert; " to the very beginning, without the "" marks.
    8. Click "OK " on the 3 windows that are open, then reboot the server.

Once the server is restarted, install the WHS Connector software on the PC, and all should be well.

original post here (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whshardware/thread/914ec833-df7a-4c4f-933d-c6a8334176bc )

This workd for me, so may be worth a go.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:41 AM
  • DIY WHS trying to install connector on new W7 x64, connector is working on another W7 x64. (Even though I had one working I uninstalled and got the same error)

This operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later.  If the problem persists, please contact Product Support.

I noticed every time I tried to reinstall it wasn't actually pointing to my server in the registry.  I was installing from "MYSERVER:55000" but it put the default name in the registry (server instead of myserver).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\server

So I did a test and renamed my server back to default (server) and rebooted the the connector installed fine.

I uninstalled connector and renamed server back to what it was before and installed properly again.  So something in the rename process synced everything back up properly again.  Not necessarily the best way but it worked for me.
    • Proposed as answer by jjuhl Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:36 PM
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 1:37 PM
  • I have poured over this thread, reading and rereading.  Thanks to everyone for all the fantastic info.

One of my laptops is having Connector problems for Win7 x64.  I'd really like to get something going by applying one of your fixes above.  Trouble is, I can't even go to http://MYSERVER:55000 - it just says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

I'm not sure, but I think this is the root of my problems.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  Thanks in advance.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:27 PM
  • I'm having issues with the connector failing during "Configuring Computer Backup". So far I've tried everything here and no go. Issues both from Win 7 Ultimate x64 and Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit. I had it working before with a half dozen PC's. I had a hard drive fail, and was in the middle of moving my home office to another spot in my house, and decided to wipe the WHS and start over because I had other issues with it consuming nearly 1TB of phantom space that I couldn't figure out.

@ orionmessier42 - Regarding displaying the webpage, go into your home server console, directly or remote into your server and in the console choose settings, remote access, select "turn on". It should work from there.

edit:

You HAVE to be kidding me.

The connector software in the C:\WHS folder is newer than the software on the shared folder that I was installing from. I just ran the software from the C:\whs folder (well copied it to the shared folder) and it installed without a hitch. Gah! Good thing because I was ready to get my sledge hammer out and make a silicon sandwich.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:41 PM
  • I started having the "Try again later" problem after the system drive after restoring the server to a new system drive.  The clue for me was that http://storage:55000/ (I renamed from HPSTORAGE to STORAGE) was giving me nothing.  I RDP'd into my STORAGE box and found that the IIS sites were not running.  I tried to start them manually but they would not start; I can't remember the error message but IISRESET was giving me the same error.  I was banging my head on this error for a couple of days.  I could access the server fine and the files and folders, but I could only run the config mgr from the server using RDP (i.e. mstsc hpstorage).

Even though updates were set to be checked and installed automatically:

I went ahead and checked for HP updates and there were a few each requiring a reboot.  I installed those.

I also checked for MS updates. and there were three loads of those too.  I installed those with reboots whenever it asked.

Then.. after no more updates were to be installed, I rechecked IIS on STORAGE and the webs were running!  So, I tried running WHSCONNECTORINSTALL.EXE and, low and behold, it found the server after only a few seconds and began installing the software.  Before, it always looked for a LONG time and then timed out and I then selected 'Manual' and gave it the name STORAGE and it would start downloading and fail almost immediately.

Hopefully this helps someone.  Good luck!

Friday, August 12, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Did all that but still does no succes

i get this error

This is a huge problem

Beside the connector failing, the rest works fine: In the network, I can see my whs server, I can remote desktop to it and I can map its drives

What is wrong? I am not the only person with ths problem: Microsoft do something!

Client machineis running Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

• Proposed as answer by Ehebert Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:37 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ehebert Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:37 PM
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:07 PM
  • DIY WHS trying to install connector on new W7 x64, connector is working on another W7 x64. (Even though I had one working I uninstalled and got the same error)

This operation cannot be completed at this time.  Please try again later.  If the problem persists, please contact Product Support.

I noticed every time I tried to reinstall it wasn't actually pointing to my server in the registry.  I was installing from "MYSERVER:55000" but it put the default name in the registry (server instead of myserver).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\server

So I did a test and renamed my server back to default (server) and rebooted the the connector installed fine.

I uninstalled connector and renamed server back to what it was before and installed properly again.  So something in the rename process synced everything back up properly again.  Not necessarily the best way but it worked for me.
    After trying many of the suggestions in this thread, this worked for me. Thanks!!
    • Proposed as answer by ivmost Monday, May 28, 2012 10:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ivmost Monday, May 28, 2012 10:51 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:37 PM
  • I had these exact symptoms and tried all sorts of suggestions. I felt pretty stupid when I realized what the issue was.

I had only left in one of the drives (1TB) in my server (HP Data Vault X510 2TB). Putting the 2nd 1 TB back into the server solved the issue. I didn't realize that both drives were required.

Monday, May 28, 2012 10:55 AM
  • Hi Tom, I realize this post is ancient but I have to know, Did you ever resolve your WHS Connector problem? Mine used to work flawlessly but after an update a couple of years ago, I have never been able to get it working again. I connect with 3 different computers and can no longer do backups on any of them. Would appreciate a note to say what you ended up doing.

Thanks, Doug

Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:39 AM
  • Hello I had the exact same issue,

Here are some more info: On the server in the app logs I got this entry every time i tried to register my PC:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: Web Event 
    Event ID: 1309
    Date: 7/26/2012
    Time: 10:23:49 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    Event code: 3005 
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred. 
    Event time: 7/26/2012 10:23:49 AM 
    Event time (UTC): 7/26/2012 2:23:49 PM 
    Event ID: 9cda1228ff74433681289e2ed07913cc 
    Event sequence: 5 
    Event occurrence: 4 
    Event detail code: 0 

Application information: 
        Application domain: /LM/w3svc/2/root-2-129877859140625000 
        Trust level: Full 
        Application Virtual Path: / 
        Application Path: C:\inetpub\intranet\ 
        Machine name: SERVER 

Process information: 
        Process ID: 2528 
        Process name: w3wp.exe 
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Exception information: 
        Exception type: AccessViolationException 
        Exception message: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt. 

Request information: 
        Request URL: http://server:55000/ClientFiles.aspx?q=1343312631 
        Request path: /ClientFiles.aspx 
        User host address: 192.168.1.113 
        User:  
        Is authenticated: False 
        Authentication Type:  
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Thread information: 
        Thread ID: 7 
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 
        Is impersonating: False 
        Stack trace: 

I tried to browse to http://server:55000/ClientFiles.aspx?q=1343312631  and it gave me the error...

I tried alot of stuff... and in the end when to the server and removed a KB for the .Net Framework 2

Here is the KB name, which was installed in January > Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 - Update 'KB2656352' was successfully removed.

During the removal process, in my PC I pressed F5 on the page with the error and finally got the cert it was trying to sent to my PC!

I then moved on with the installation of the connector and it installed OK.

I remember that I had issue opening the WHS console on my PC and had to RDP to the serer to open it that dated back a while ago. And now i can login to the console via my PC... 

It is sad that a KB fix would have cause such an issue.

I hope this will help someone.

Best Regards from Canada!

• Proposed as answer by Ehebert Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:52 PM
    Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:46 PM
  • I had similar experience recently. After troubleshooting for about half a day, i found out that the following fixed the problem:

1. Launch IIS manager.
    2. Change WHS website and all it applications to run in ASP.net 2.0 (instead of 1.1)
    3. Restart the WHS website and it's application.
    4. done!

Hope this helps anyone still facing this issue.

Regards,

Yomi

• Proposed as answer by Yomione Monday, December 8, 2014 10:43 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 10:37 AM
  • @ Yomi.  Could you please reiterate what are the steps you need to take to achieve that 

1. Change WHS website and all it applications to run in ASP.net 2.0 (instead of 1.1)
    2. Restart the WHS website and it's application.

I am just dangerous enough where i have seen terms in your post but i have no idea what they mean.

Thanks

Monday, October 5, 2015 11:14 PM