How to limit products per business unit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi CRM Gurus :)

I'm learning Dynamics CRM, hence my question :)

How can I best achieve to filter the products, based on the business unit the current user is belonging to? For example, the products related to printers, only the Printer department can use when creating a quote. 

I think about adding a ProductClass attribute to the product table, and for example extend the OrganizationalUnit with a one to many to product class. This way I can select what product classes a particular business unit can sell.

Does this sound a solid solution, or are there better ways?

Regards,
    Dirk
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:36 PM

Answers

• A product may have a default price list but not mandatory and a product can belong to many price lists. have a look at Price List, you'll see Price List Items and you can add products to it. So you could add  furniture and printers to a price list for department A and also add them to a price list for department B plus other product aswell.

Also I'm fairly certain that when creating an order you can change the price lists in the lookup and the product search will then filter based on the newly selected price list but I would check this first if I was you.

Obviously this is only one way you could do what your trying so might be worth seeing what others have to say too.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:10 PM

All replies

• You could create a price list for each department.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hi Rhett,

Thank you for your quick reply!

I was thinking that way also, but I have seen that the product requires a mandatory pricelist. Furthermore, when someone would assign a pricelist to a customer, for example 'Gold Customers' that can buy furniture and printers, that would screw up the logic I think for filtering products per user, or did I misunderstood the pricelist?

Dirk
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:42 PM
  • A product may have a default price list but not mandatory and a product can belong to many price lists. have a look at Price List, you'll see Price List Items and you can add products to it. So you could add  furniture and printers to a price list for department A and also add them to a price list for department B plus other product aswell.

Also I'm fairly certain that when creating an order you can change the price lists in the lookup and the product search will then filter based on the newly selected price list but I would check this first if I was you.

Obviously this is only one way you could do what your trying so might be worth seeing what others have to say too.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:10 PM
  • or you have one price list for the store and use the field producttype (maybe change name) on product for departements.
    because this field is used in the multi lookup field and more i think
    and create a new custom field for producttype if you want to use this option
    The mind i just like a parachute, it only works when open.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:19 AM