BSOD DEVOLUME.SYS -> something wrong with the drive RRS feed

• Question

• I've got Vail "Preview Refreshed", with an eSATA H/W RAID.  One day, power failure making one of the drive disk failed, and Vail start BSOD with generic "STOP" error.  It can be boot when the RAID is detached, but the huge file share is no longer accessible of course. 

I tried re-installing Vail on a separate VM, attach the 100% repaired RAID volume, the VM shows "DEVOLUME.SYS" BSOD, that also happens when I reinstall Vail on the original physical server.  I begin to think whether the power crash made some file system error on the RAID, so, when DEVOLUME.SYS read the volume, it triggers BSOD.  This is universally true when the volume is connected to Vail via USB (the RAID has 2 interfaces) after boot, nor connected via eSATA. 

When the RAID volume is connected to another PC, the DEv2 protected volume shows correctly.

Is MS preparing for RTM of Vail with this scenario fixed?  Or does any internal fix have been done on DEVOLUME.SYS to make it more robust?  Any way to scan and repair a failed DE volume suspect?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Lawrence
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 6:34 AM

All replies

• Drive Extender is being removed from Vail; issues with Drive Extender aren't really important any more, I suspect.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 6:43 AM
  • Agree, I don't care about DE, but I only care about my data.  So, I just want to know how can I recover my data.  Thanks.
    Lawrence
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Probably you can't. If a rebuilt server isn't reading the data from the drives, there's no way I know of to recover said data.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 3:02 PM
  • That's why I won't keep my eyes on WHS any more.  I switched back to Win Server 08 R2 and SharePoint Foundation.  We use MS products because it is easy to manage with plenty of resources.  WHSv2 is doing a bad job on this initiative.

Lawrence, MVP System Management, Microsoft V-TSP Virtualization
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 4:04 PM