Windows 7 Media Centre cannot see media files on a Windows Home Server 2011 share RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently set up a Windows Home Server 2011. For a long time I have had a Windows 7 Media Centre based HTPC in my living room.

The HTPC had a 2nd HDD with media files on it which I have now moved to the WHS box.

I moved the Videos Server Folder from the default D drive to the new F drive and moved all the media files from old location on F to under the new F:\ServerFolders\Videos

On the HTPC I have installed Launchpad and use this to logon as a user which has read/write access to all of the WHS Server Folders

Using Windows Explorer I can browse \\homeserver\videos and play all files therein.

However, when I try to add \\homeserver\videos to the Videos Media Library in WMC it begins a scan and immediately finishes, finding no files. If I go back to the add to Library section then \\homeserver\videos has not been added to the list

I have also tried to do this by adding \\homeserver\videos as a mapped drive, with the same failure.

What is stopping WMC from adding the WHS share?

TIA

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:29 PM

Answers

• I fixed it by creating a new user on the HTPC box. This has full access to the WHS shares and works as expected.
    • Marked as answer by cyrusc Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:10 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 8:10 PM