Loss of OFX Downloads With Bank RRS feed

• Question

• The bank that holds my checking and savings accounts just upgraded their website and, in the process, abandoned the option to download OFX files.  I have been successfully using PocketSense and Ameridan's setup to download updates from the bank for years. I could also login in to the banks website and choose to download OFX files. Now my options are XLS, CSV, QFX and QBO downloads. Any suggestions on how best to adapt?
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:28 AM

Answers

• If you decided to modify my script, you can find the coordinates for the MouseClick by getting Money open to the right place in full screen, and press the PrintScreen key. Then paste into paint. Move the pointer to the right spot, and Paint displays the coordinates of where you are pointing on the screen capture.

The "Send, mv" means to have the macro press the m key and then press the v key. Those are keyboard shortcuts that you can use to Mark as Void after you have done the right-click.

Of course you can use the "AutoScriptWriter" to help generate the file from scratch. My file will still be useful for comparison.

• Marked as answer by GreggC1 Sunday, June 4, 2017 1:41 PM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:54 AM

All replies

• If you want to associate the .qfx extension to OFX files so that
    Money can import it directly, you can create a .reg file named
    qfx2ofx.reg.  Then web access to .qfx files would work the same as
    for .ofx files.  That .reg file would contain the 15 lines that are
    between the two demarcation lines:

==========begin qfx2ofx.reg===============================
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx]
    "Content Type"="text/qfx"
    @="ofx.Document"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx\ofx.Document]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.qfx\ofx.Document\ShellNew]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-qfx]
    "Extension"=".qfx"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\text/qfx]
    "Extension"=".qfx"
    ==========end qfx2ofx.reg===============================

Just run that file after you create it.  So thereafter, if you use
    the web etc to bring in a .qfx file, it is treated as if it were
    named *.ofx.  The Money install associated .ofx with itself.

If you are also using Quicken, this would probably not be a good
    thing to do.

A popular alternative is to download the *.qif file, and rename it to *.ofx. If you then open that, Money should process it.

Note that in https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b2bc7e8b-4912-473b-bcb7-f8bf2cbe55e3/cant-import-qif-file-from-chase-bank-to-money-plus?forum=money  Bill Becker reported he tried the qfx2ofx.reg file, but it did not work for him. He did get another way to work. However I suggest you try that qfx2ofx.reg file, and let us know how it works (or not) for you.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:29 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response Cal, it's appreciated.  You lost me on the "run it after you create it"...
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:37 AM
  • One way to open/run/launch the qfx2ofx.reg file is to right-click the file in Windows, and choose Open. Another way is to double-click the file. If Money is not already open, expect the action to open Money. I probably should have said "open it after you create it."

Expect a User Account Control popup to appear. This is because running a *.reg file could do some bad stuff if the file was prepared by somebody who wanted to do bad stuff.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:49 AM
  • I created and ran the file, it seems successful. However now, in the downloaded statements page, Money says that I have 1145 downloaded transactions in checking, 12 in savings.  When I access the checking account, no new downloads are evident, ditto with savings.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 2:05 AM
  • That may be fine. It may be that Money recognized that those transactions were already there. So I would check the Money register and the bank site to see if you already have the transactions.

Or maybe they are not fed into Money yet. On the Account List in the To Review column, click where it says you have downloaded transactions. It should then process them.

Did Money ask what account this should go into? I suspect not, and I hope it went the right place.

As an experiment to see the transactions, you could try creating a new Money file as a test (give it a name such as "experiment"). Don't answer the setup questions. You don't want a password on the file. After that, hit Next. Click on "Skip Account Setup" Look for a link shortly after the creation process  Then open the QFX file again. See if it goes into the new empty Money file just fine.

To switch back to your actual Money file, you can click that name on the most-recently-used list at the bottom of the File drop-down list.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 2:15 AM
  • Thanks for hanging with me Cal.

Apparently patience is a virtue, although the result is not always as we would prefer.

The transactions did show up.  I guess, unless there is an automated process, I have about a year of duplicate downloads to delete.  Is there a way to keep this from re-occurring tomorrow morning when I login to the bank's website and export the qfx file?

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Don't delete the new ones. Either delete the old ones, or Void the new ones. The reason is that the downloaded transactions have an ID that will let Money recognize if that same transaction is downloaded later. I think, but am not totally sure, that if you delete the transaction, Money will not remember that Transaction ID.

If you Void the transaction, the transaction ID gets remembered.
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:06 AM
  • Gotcha, I'll give that a whirl, I'll let you know how it works out.  Again, thanks for the support...
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:09 AM
  • I was concerned with "cluttering" my checking and savings accounts with numerous voided entries, so decided not to download and void each of the 1100 some odd duplicate transactions.  I returned to a Money back-up pre-dating the initial qfx download.  During the balance of the week I monitored the transactions in the checking account and just marked the cleared transactions as being cleared in Money.

This morning I downloaded the latest qfx file, opened it in WordPad, cleaned out all the transactions that had been downloaded via PocketSense, saved the remaining info in a new qfx file.  I then imported this to Money with satisfactory results.  Needless to say, this is not something to do on a daily basis.  I'm hoping to find some information allowing me to enter the appropriate information into the PocketSense setup and proceed as I did prior to the changes made by my financial institution.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 7:05 PM
  • 1. Rather than voiding the new info, you could delete the old transactions that overlap. Sorting by Entry Order might help during that process.

2. I suspect you meant QIF when you said "saved the remaining info in a new qfx file."

3. Are you intending to use Pocketsense or web downloads going forward? I presume only the web download is working.  New QFX downloads should not duplicate the QFX transactions that are there from previous QFX downloads.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 8:44 PM
  • Hi Cal,

Good to hear from you!

1. I'm trying to avoid what I perceive to be the need to process the years worth of checking account transactions, either by voiding the new info or deleting the original, or old, transaction.  At my first import of the of the QFX file on May 10, the newly downloaded transactions were "raw".  I'm thinking that I would need to re-enter the payee and category/sub-category and memo info.  If I'm missing something here please let me know.
    2. Actually no, the bank is only offering XLS, CSV, QFX and QBO downloads, so I downloaded and revised the QFX file.
    3. I would love to continue using Pocketsense if at all possible.  I'm still using it for Citi Visa, Ameritrade and Fidelity downloads.  Until the change with my bank, the only financial institution I had to download outside of Pocketsense was CapitalOne CC.  When I attempt to download for the bank using Pocketsense I am greeted with the following:

Test account #: [0] 1

Test XXX CHECKING : XXXXXX2109 (y?n) Y

XXX CHECKING : XXXXXX2109 : Getting records since: 20170412

Invalid OFX statement.

** Review .\xrf\XXXCHECKING20170513143301970125.ofx for possible clues...

An online error occurred while testing the new account.

The *.ofx file reads:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Service Unavailable</TITLE>

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></HEAD>

<BODY><h2>Service Unavailable</h2>

<hr><p>HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.</p>

</BODY></HTML>

Saturday, May 13, 2017 9:38 PM
  • Is there no way to select the download date range? With Citibank, you can select a date range, or you can ask to have those transactions from after your previous download. (Citibank does offer OFX as one of about 6 choices).

After considering the payee and category bit, I think downloading, accepting and voiding all transactions makes  best-available sense. There used to be the option of enabling Ctrl+V to void a transaction by enabling shortcuts for Quicken users, but I think that went away in Money 2005. That would have been too easy.

Anyway, if you would like to try this, this would simplify it some:

Before downloading the QFX, mark all transactions as Reconciled ( balanced) with this procedure:

Select the View to show only unreconciled
    transactions.  Sort by date, and go to the oldest transaction.
    Hold down Cntl+Shift+M and let auto-repeat work thru the
    transactions until none are left showing. 

Then download the QFX. Only the new transactions show up. ReconcileTransactions->AcceptAllTransactions. Now they are all accepted. Then starting from the top, mark each transaction as Void with the mouse. As you Void, that transaction disappears from view.  I wish there were a keyboard shortcut, but at 10 per minute, you could finish in 2 hours. It should be a 1 time thing.

Then change the View to show all transactions.

If some day the Voided transactions are old enough that they no longer come in, you could delete the Voided transactions.

I don't have a way to use Pocketsense for the bank transactions.  I thought you might have something to support your hope.

There is something called a mouse macro recorder. I looked into that long ago, but I don't think I found one. Maybe searching for that would bear results.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 10:42 PM
  • Unfortunately, no, they don't offer a range on the date.  Sadly enough, not only did their old website offer OFX, it also offered a date range.

I'll run through the routine you've suggested when time allows, I'll let you know how it works out.

I'm very disappointed in the overall change the bank has made to it's website.  It's not user friendly or intuitive at all.  I'm seriously thinking about closing my accounts and moving to a new financial institution.  Any ideas?

Saturday, May 13, 2017 10:53 PM
  • I'm very disappointed in the overall change the bank has made to it's website.  It's not user friendly or intuitive at all.  I'm seriously thinking about closing my accounts and moving to a new financial institution.  Any ideas?

Citibank has working OFX web download, and I expect there are others. I don't know if there is a bank that works free with Pocketsense for banking transactions. Maybe Ameridan knows one or more.  You can write checks and do bill pay via your Fidelity cash account, and PocketSense downloads from there. However when you need to handle cash, you want a bank.
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 11:07 PM
  • Thanks Cal, I appreciate your input, I'll post when I've tested the download and void scenario...
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 11:20 PM
  • Thanks Cal, I appreciate your input, I'll post when I've tested the download and void scenario...

This reply is for somebody who might want to Void many many new transactions, such as the adventurous and motivated GreggC1, and it should be ignored by most people.

I tried some macro programs. I tried Mini Mouse Macro, Mouse Recorder, and finally had success with AutoHotKey.

I will let you read up on it if you want to try it. Here is a copy of my file MNY_VOID.AHK, which is really a test file. The AHK file type gets associated with the program. All occurrences of "1978,  349" are hard mouse coordinates, and they will vary. It is best to have Money in full screen when you run this kind of macro, so the mouse coordinates will be consistent. Also note the "Loop, 3" line could be changed to "Loop, 300" or whatever.

The "AutoScriptWriter" is part of the installed programs. You will want to watch a video or two.

========begin MNY_VOID.AHK======================

;This file is mny_voids.ahk
    ;It presumes Money file is called Mny_Tst.mny
    ;You would normally change to match your file.
    ;Also, the mouse coordinates may vary with your system.
    ;This presumes you have the view to show only unreconciled transactions,
    ; so when you void a transaction, that transaction gets hidden, and the
    ; next one moves up.

; SAMPLE HOTKEYS: Below 3 hotkeys are defined.  One is is Win+Z and it
    ; voids the top 3 transactions.   One is Control+Alt+N
    ; and it launches a new Notepad window (or activates an existing one).
    ; This is retained from the sample  AutoHotkey.ahk file.
    ; One is Ctrl+Alt V which Voids only the top transaction.
    ; After installing AutoHotKey,  to activate these hotkeys,
    ; run this mny_voids.ahk file.

; make new run of mny_voids.ahk replace the old
    #SingleInstance force

;this is the notepad test from the original file.
    ^!n::
    IfWinExist Untitled - Notepad
     WinActivate
    else
     Run Notepad
    return

; Note: From now on whenever you run AutoHotkey directly, this script
    ; will be loaded.  So feel free to customize it to suit your needs.

; Please read the QUICK-START TUTORIAL near the top of the help file.
    ; It explains how to perform common automation tasks such as sending
    ; keystrokes and mouse clicks.  It also explains more about hotkeys.

;this defines the Ctrl+Alt+v macro
    ^!v::
    WinWait, Mny_Tst - Microsoft Money,
    IfWinNotActive, Mny_Tst - Microsoft Money, , WinActivate, Mny_Tst - Microsoft Money,
    WinWaitActive, Mny_Tst - Microsoft Money,
    MouseClick, right,  1978,  349
    Sleep, 100
    Send, mv
    Sleep, 100
    return

;This defines the WindowsKey+z macro (change number in Loop line as needed)
    ;after any changes to this file, you must run this file again.
    #z::
    WinWait, Mny_Tst - Microsoft Money,
    IfWinNotActive, Mny_Tst - Microsoft Money, , WinActivate, Mny_Tst - Microsoft Money,
    WinWaitActive, Mny_Tst - Microsoft Money,
    Loop, 3
    {
    MouseClick, right,  1978,  349
    Sleep, 100
    Send, mv
    }
    return

========end MNY_VOID.AHK======================

Sunday, May 14, 2017 4:41 PM
  • Hi Cal, apologies for the delayed response.  I appreciate the time you've taken to look into this.  I started to research it myself but have been drawn into quite the work week.  With luck I'll be able to take some time from work this weekend to see if I can implement this.  Please stay tuned...
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 2:05 AM
  • If you decided to modify my script, you can find the coordinates for the MouseClick by getting Money open to the right place in full screen, and press the PrintScreen key. Then paste into paint. Move the pointer to the right spot, and Paint displays the coordinates of where you are pointing on the screen capture.

The "Send, mv" means to have the macro press the m key and then press the v key. Those are keyboard shortcuts that you can use to Mark as Void after you have done the right-click.

Of course you can use the "AutoScriptWriter" to help generate the file from scratch. My file will still be useful for comparison.

• Marked as answer by GreggC1 Sunday, June 4, 2017 1:41 PM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:54 AM
  • I was finally able to get back to work on this and, after a great deal of experimentation, was able to import, accept then void the years worth of transactions.  Using AutoHotKey and your scripts, with some adjustments, worked great.  I can't tell you how much a appreciate the help Cal!
    Sunday, June 4, 2017 1:40 PM