Subscription problems...Anyone non-US'ers having a hard time? RRS feed

• Question

• So I got myself the 90 day version of OneCare...And I found I like it...

After about 60 days it starts prompting you with enticing offers, like purchasing a subscription for $30 instead of the regular $50....

Great I think to myself, I'll get it...Except that when you go to the payment site (after about 3 web pages of navigation), the country is set at "US" and it can't be changed... I can't renew...

Ok, I figure, maybe I'll contact billing support to ask for help....Except that there isn't a phone number anywhere (are there any humans left a Microsoft, or just forums?)...And when I go through the automated wizard, it fails....

After a few more failed attempts, I'm on the verge of giving up in frustration....Anyone else have this problem? 

I never thought it would be so bloody hard to actually purchase something.
    Roy Drenker
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:07 PM

Answers

• If you are in Canada, you should not be purchasing from the US link. What is the country setting for your LiveID (the MSN ID) at http://account.live.com ?
    The bad part is that the reduced price offer is only available from within OneCare via some sort of trigger during the trial period. I don't know how to get the offer any other way. Navigating to http://onecare.live.com and following the links to purchase will net you the retail price for your country - assuming that the IE language settings are correct.

If your LiveID is already associated with a Billing account - https://billing.microsoft.com and the country is already set to US and you are not in the US, the easiest solution is to use a new LiveID as there have been no success stories about getting support to fix the incorrect country in a profile in the Billing system. I don't know how the incorrect country is in the Billing profile to begin with, but apparently changing it is not easy or possible.

On the other hand, to avoid all of this and to get the best possible price, check for the pricing from retailers in Canada or online. Amazon sells a retail copy in the US for 19.99 plus shipping. I don't know the Canada pricing. All you need is the retail key from inside the package to activate your already installed copy of OneCare using the LiveID that might have the wrong country associated with it in the Billing system.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hello Roy, this usually happens if your Internet Explorer language settings do not match your physical location. To correct this open Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>General>Languages>Add and, for example if you are in the U.K., add English ( United Kingdom ).
    Jim - MVP Windows Live / Windows Live One Care Forum Moderator
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 3:26 PM
  • No - that's not the issue.

I have it setup for English (Canada).

When I simply try to purchase it from this link:  http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/activation/purchasecc.htm, and click "Go", and sign-in using my MSN ID, it takes me to a "Purchase a new plan" page.  When I click to expand the details, it shows the following:

You have selected a one year subscription to Windows Live OneCare (covers up to 3 PCs) for $49.95 plus tax. Windows Live OneCare is the all-in-one security and performance service for your Windows XP or Windows Vista-based PC and includes Antivirus, Antispyware, Anti-Phishing, Managed Firewall, Performance Tune-Ups, Data Backup, and Support. This is an annual subscription that will be automatically charged to your credit card every year at the then current price unless you cancel your account or select an alternative plan. You must agree to the Windows Live OneCare Subscription Agreement to access the service. Major credit card required. Prices subject to change. Valid in US only.

Note the text I bolded above...So - what's up?  Is OneCare only available in the US now?  Or is the ecommerce site just screwed up?

Still interested in purchasing...
    Roy Drenker
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 2:59 AM
  • If you are in Canada, you should not be purchasing from the US link. What is the country setting for your LiveID (the MSN ID) at http://account.live.com ?
    The bad part is that the reduced price offer is only available from within OneCare via some sort of trigger during the trial period. I don't know how to get the offer any other way. Navigating to http://onecare.live.com and following the links to purchase will net you the retail price for your country - assuming that the IE language settings are correct.

If your LiveID is already associated with a Billing account - https://billing.microsoft.com and the country is already set to US and you are not in the US, the easiest solution is to use a new LiveID as there have been no success stories about getting support to fix the incorrect country in a profile in the Billing system. I don't know how the incorrect country is in the Billing profile to begin with, but apparently changing it is not easy or possible.

On the other hand, to avoid all of this and to get the best possible price, check for the pricing from retailers in Canada or online. Amazon sells a retail copy in the US for 19.99 plus shipping. I don't know the Canada pricing. All you need is the retail key from inside the package to activate your already installed copy of OneCare using the LiveID that might have the wrong country associated with it in the Billing system.

-steve

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:36 PM
  • I am from the Philippines and likewise have the same problem.  As suggested in your message exchanges with Roy, I had changed my IE language preference from English United States to English Philippines but result remained the same when I try to buy Onecare online.  My Onecare trial subscription will expire tomorrow. Please help. ..
    Friday, December 19, 2008 4:21 AM
  • Eduard Vizcarra said:

I am from the Philippines and likewise have the same problem.  As suggested in your message exchanges with Roy, I had changed my IE language preference from English United States to English Philippines but result remained the same when I try to buy Onecare online.  My Onecare trial subscription will expire tomorrow. Please help. ..

Eduard, OneCare is not available for purchase in the Philippines.

In which countries and languages is Windows Live OneCare available?

The Windows Live OneCare subscription service is available in the following countries and languages: Australia (English), Austria (German), Belgium (Dutch, French), Brazil (Portuguese), Canada (English, French), France (French), Germany (German), Hong Kong (English), Ireland (English), India (English), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Mexico (Spanish), Netherlands (Dutch), New Zealand (English), Singapore (English), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (French, German), United Kingdom (English), United States (English, Spanish).

Pasted from <http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm>

-steve

Friday, December 19, 2008 2:53 PM
  • how come we were able to enjoy trial version and not able to purchase online... Microsoft guys are geniuses? not able to correct or do something about online purchasing here in philippines? There's a lot of paying system online like paypal, cards, etc. ebay can do it around the world , thats what i know, and microsoft can't do it? Paging Bill Gates!! Your guys are not doing their jobs well.. [:0(
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:31 PM
  • betacircuits said:

how come we were able to enjoy trial version and not able to purchase online... Microsoft guys are geniuses? not able to correct or do something about online purchasing here in philippines? There's a lot of paying system online like paypal, cards, etc. ebay can do it around the world , thats what i know, and microsoft can't do it? Paging Bill Gates!! Your guys are not doing their jobs well.. [:0(

Its as simple as this: For one, if Ebay can do payment and purchase online around the world, why microsoft can not? Geniuses..
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:37 PM
  • betacircuits said:

how come we were able to enjoy trial version and not able to purchase online... Microsoft guys are geniuses? not able to correct or do something about online purchasing here in philippines? There's a lot of paying system online like paypal, cards, etc. ebay can do it around the world , thats what i know, and microsoft can't do it? Paging Bill Gates!! Your guys are not doing their jobs well.. [:0(

This is just one of several issues that plagued OneCare, since the Windows Live system which accepts the payments has always been based on credit cards which are common in most of the western world.  However, as Microsoft has entered other world markets it has discovered the lack of availablility of stable payment systems, so it made the decision to simply drop the OneCare product from its product line and to provide a free anti-malware only product worldwide starting in the 2nd half of this year.

The Announcement for this is at the top of this and some other forums here with links to the official Microsoft announcements.  Here's a shortcut link to the forum Sticky post:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/ebe7e8de-c7a2-41c7-9072-24d3a2bc04ec

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:58 PM
  • betacircuits said:

It is now a moot point since OneCare is an end of life product, but deployment of OneCare to varying countries involved a number of factors - payment systems, licensing, and support. Why it wasn't more aggressively pushed and offered in many more countries remains a mystery to me. And I agree that it is bad that you are not advised of the location availability when your download the trial.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 20, 2009 1:37 PM
  • If i am going to purchase directly in us territory, I have many ways of doing so ( thats why I wonder why people in microsoft can't do it..). Got a bloody key number which is the main item here, will it works or I will be able to activate it here in the philippines or the microsoft will not honor or consider my bloody  hard earned purchase? It's like giving a very sweet candy to a child, then after consuming the promo one you'll be put into the maze finding more sweeter candy.. and find there nothing but pictures.. got what i mean?
     Just what you've said: it is a way of life now cause microsoft gave me a taste of it.. I am interested in purchasing, that's all!! But why make it hard to get one?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:58 PM
  •  

Set your default browser to IE. Set the default language to US-English.
    Create a new LiveID with a US (or other country on the above list) address. Log in with the LiveID at http://onecare.live.com/activate and use the option to activate with a token using the product key from inside the retail box.
    Then open OneCare on your PC and activate it with the LiveID used to create the subscription.  

I will remind you that the above is not an approved workaround and the process may cease working at any time.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, April 3, 2009 2:08 PM