Using Sync Toy from command line won't copy any file! RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo.
    Using sync toy on my windows XP PRO machine i've got this problem:
    launching sync toy froma batch file as: START /W C:\"Programmi"\"SyncToy 2.0"\SyncToyCmd.exe -R"GREEN_Fonts"
    makes the program run but without copy any of the files, it says "there is no need to copy any file we saved xxx minutes"
    But if (after the batch running)i run the same folders-pair from sync toy application it starts coping a LOT of  files that are changed from left to right in folders-pair sync!
    So is there any bug which does not allow the files coping in folder sync by command line?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:23 AM

All replies

• Hi, 
         No, the command line should work well as GUI.

Did your log showed as following when you ran batch with command line?

SYNC: 11/19/2009 15:25:52:815: SyncToy run of g (D:\test\lf\, D:\test\rf\) completed at 11/19/2009 3:25:52 PM.
    SyncToy action was 'Synchronize'.
    SyncToy options were:
     Active for run all
     All files included
     No files excluded
     Do not check file contents
     Include read-only files
     Include hidden files
     Include system files
     Backup older files (send to Recycle Bin)
     All subfolders included
    SyncToy run took 00:00:00:409.
    Copied 0 bytes in 0 files in 00:00:00:409.
    Bytes per second 0.0, files per second 0.0.
    Avoided copying 8,422,117,254 bytes in 40,084 files that did not require action.
    Saved approximately 04:40:44:00 by not copying all files.

Thanks,
    Ping
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:28 AM
  • yes mi log file looks like your but i don't see any copied file in the destination Folder.
    it can be also used in command line for the "frist copy" action? or the "frist copy" must be done from GUI?

Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:37 AM
  • For the first copy, there may be some issue will cause no run. You can run SyncToy.exe UI tool, run all folder pairs first, to see if there is any special thing which need your interactivity. If there are any, fix them, and then run command line.
    Another suggestion is try to run the command line with higher account privilege, which has enough access permission to do the copies.

Thanks,
    Ping

Friday, November 27, 2009 8:49 AM
  • I've tried several times. After the frist sync done by GUI...
    If i run sinc toy from a batch file (command line) it takes a few seconds to complete the echo sync between the two folders, but if after that i run the same folder pair from the sinc toy window (GUI) i observe that it need more time (minutes!) to complete the work and that it has a lot of file still to copy. If it had done the work in the right way the frist time there will be no need to copy files on second run, so i think that it doen't run in the right way by command line.
    When synctoy runs on command line can it handle errors? or it stops on errors aborting the sync-operation?
    I really can't undestand why it doesn't work. I'm sorry but i need to use it by batch file, is the only way to schedule folders sync in the right order!!
    Please help me to undestand.

(i use administrator account..so i think i've got privileges to do copies!)
    Friday, November 27, 2009 8:58 AM
  • I did a few try, but I could not repro your problem.
    My suggestion is, if you could run the sync well through UI, then have a try with SyncToyCmd.exe directly from command windows, if it works well, then try your bactch file then. For useing batch file, another suggestion is try to use this way:

Pushd C:\"Program Files"\"SyncToy 2.1"\ 
    SyncToyCmd.exe -R"ll"
    Popd

Thanks,
    Ping

• Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:43 AM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:39 AM