Cannot get onto certain webcomic sites because of DNS_Timelockout error message RRS feed

• Question

• I have internet service through Shaw, but my protection is Windows Live Onecare. A Shaw representative told me I may have accidentally made my firewall deny certain websites (something to do with Java). I have tried restarting my laptop and also unplugging my Motorola modem, but no go. I have Windows Vista as my system, but I think the main problem is with my firewall. Help!!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• To verify this is a firewall issue you can turn off the One Care firewall and attempt to connect to the websites that are timing out. If turning off the One Care firewall resolves the issue turn it back on and reset it to the default settings. To do this open One Care>Change Settigs>Firewall>Advanced Settings>Programs>Restore Defaults. If this does not resolve the issue please contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:00 PM
  • I've marked Jim's post as the answer, but I don't think that the OneCare firewall is a culprit. If only some sites are not loading, that would lead me to suspect a problem with your HOSTS file, other security software on the PC, or Shaw's DNS servers/routing. I suggest going back to Shaw support if the problem persists with the OneCare firewall turned off.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Thanks for your response, JimR1. However, I tried shutting off the firewall temporarily, but that didn't do anything. It's bizarre, frankly. I wasn't having this problem until, um, last weekend I guess. I've had a thought that a new large update through Windows Live OneCare might have done something, but I'm not that knowledgeable about computers in the first place. Of course I can't remember what exactly the update was, but it was the largest one I've seen in a while. Anyway, the other response by your fellow moderator may hold my answers. I was thinking of setting my firewall protection to the default setting, but I'm not sure if that will work. I'll see if anything happens...
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:33 PM
  • Thank you for your response, Stephen Boots. Yeah, I am really wondering if the OneCare firewall is the problem. However, I need some explanations about your response: what is my HOSTS file and how do I tinker with that file to get positive results (like sites actually loading)? Or, how should I search for other security software on my laptop (when I bought it from Future Shop in Edmonton during Christmas, I was given Windows Live OneCare with it, so I don't think I have other security software on my laptop)?

If it turns out that the problem is with Shaw's DNS servers/routing, then I'll see what I can do about it. Well, I'll attempt your fellow moderator's suggestion that I turn off the firewall (again) and if nothing occurs, then switch it to default setting. Aargh. It just gets frustrating...anyway, thanks...
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Well, I tried JimR1's suggestion - shutting of the firewall (nothing worked still), then went to default settings under Advanced (still nothing). Here is the exact error message that I receive:

Gateway Timeout

The following error occurred:

[code=DNS_TIMEOUT] A DNS lookup error occurred because the request timed out during lookup.

Please contact the administrator.

Well, that's it. Wonder if I should contact Shaw now (when I have the time...sigh...)
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:43 PM
  • If that happened with the firewall disabled, then I'd check with Shaw. They should be able to work through connection issues. Your HOSTS file is a hidden text file in the %system% folder. By default it is just some notes on how to customize it. A HOSTS file, when edited, can let the system avoid the DNS lookup for a server or domain by specifying the IP address for a domain within the file. For TCP/IP requests, the HOSTS file is checked for a match first and then it goes to DNS lookup (or cache) to determine the IP address for a name so that the request can be properly routed. A bad HOSTS file entry can cause DNS issues.
    I'm more inclined to consider that something actually corrupted the network stack.
    You can try resetting the stack per the instructions here:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/

And, you can certainly contact OneCare support for help.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:10 AM
  • Well, Stephen Boots, it's the funniest thing. I went on the internet in the morning today (Thurs.) and the websites were working again. I found this out before I got to your response about HOSTS files. I don't know what happened in the interim - if it was a problem with Shaw's DNS servers/routing or whatever - but it seems to be solved. I'll just keep my firewall to the default setting for now. Much thanks to you and JimR1 - this forum is a great service for any Microsoft Windows users. Hopefully my laptop will keep humming along - but if something happens again - I'll be sure to ask for assistance!

Cara
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 10:39 PM
  • In between answering posts, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :-) Glad to read that it is working right now. It sure does sound like it might have been a DNS problem.
    -steve
    Friday, July 3, 2009 12:20 AM