Can you "Mesh" a Folder twice on the same PC? RRS feed

• Question

• The background to this question is I do not like User Data being stored on my C Drive*. I always look to redirect to a separate Data partition which I then double back up via Live Mesh and Windows Home Server.

The problem I face is wishing to backup my iPod Touch data but Apple do not provide a way of changing the default C: designated folder.

I've come up with what I believe is a workaround but wished to check that in so doing I don't corrupt the file.

I have added the original Apple folder to Live Mesh and sync'd with another PC (2) on my home network. I then create a new Folder on my Data partition and add that to Live Mesh while syncing it to the Live Mesh'd folder residing on PC (2).

I now have the iPod data residing on my Data partition knowing it should at all times be updated via Live Mesh.

Is there a flaw in my cunning plan?

*Never need worry about lost user data when rebuilding OS

Monday, September 21, 2009 12:26 PM

Answers

• Having the same folder in the Mesh twice may be a problem and isn't recommended for the same reason that you can't add a subfolder of a parent Live Mesh folder into the Mesh as another Mesh folder. Your design may work, but where I can see it falling over is if a file is changed or deleted, it will cascade through the links you've created and cause conflicts to arise.
    Since it allowed you to set things up this way, the best that I can do is suggest that you make sure that you've got a manual backup of the data outside of the Mesh in case things go awry.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:42 PM

All replies

• Having the same folder in the Mesh twice may be a problem and isn't recommended for the same reason that you can't add a subfolder of a parent Live Mesh folder into the Mesh as another Mesh folder. Your design may work, but where I can see it falling over is if a file is changed or deleted, it will cascade through the links you've created and cause conflicts to arise.
    Since it allowed you to set things up this way, the best that I can do is suggest that you make sure that you've got a manual backup of the data outside of the Mesh in case things go awry.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:42 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I hadn't implemented my workaround wanting to take advice beforehand.

On the back of your reply I've just trashed said plan and will learn to live with my orphan C: data folder.

Bah! - Typical control freakery Apple software!

Patrick
    Monday, September 21, 2009 1:07 PM
  • As long as you make a backup of your data outside of Live Mesh, you can certainly give it a try. :-)

Let me give you another option.

Download and install SyncToy from Microsoft. It is free. Configure it to keep the folder on C: and your data folder in Sync. It isn't an automatic program, so you'll be running the pairs manually on demand, thereby minimizing the risk of crazy conflicts cropping up.
    If you poke into the SyncToy help text you'll find the instructions for setting SyncToy up to run on a schedule using the Windows Task Scheduler, if you want to semi-automate it.
    And only sync the folder on your data partition into the Mesh once and all should be good.
    However, I still recommend keeping a backup of the data external to Live Mesh in the event of oddities - remember, Live Mesh is a beta.
    -steve
    Monday, September 21, 2009 2:08 PM