locked
Online backup RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi all,

    I have been using IDrive to backup my WHS...and it all seems to be working fine. So far, I have been using it to backup the D:\shares\ folder.

    This is all well and fine, but what happens when I want to backup the backup folders (i.e. the D:\folders)? I understand that this is where the important stuff from my client PC's have been saved through the WHS Client Connector. Is this even possible?

    Secondly, assume that my WHS hard drive gets fried or the WHS server gets stolen....since all the D:\folders data is stored in .dat files, it means that I have to download the entire folder from my online backup to a new hard drive to restore my important files. Well, I guess that is what it is.

    Any thoughts or guidance on the above would be appreciated.
    Monday, April 14, 2008 3:27 PM

All replies

  •  Kinetics wrote:
    Hi all,

    I have been using IDrive to backup my WHS...and it all seems to be working fine. So far, I have been using it to backup the D:\shares\ folder.


    You should be using the network share path, not the D drive.

     

     Kinetics wrote:
    This is all well and fine, but what happens when I want to backup the backup folders (i.e. the D:\folders)?

     

    Check the Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore for instructions.

     

     Kinetics wrote:
    I understand that this is where the important stuff from my client PC's have been saved through the WHS Client Connector. Is this even possible?

    Secondly, assume that my WHS hard drive gets fried or the WHS server gets stolen....since all the D:\folders data is stored in .dat files, it means that I have to download the entire folder from my online backup to a new hard drive to restore my important files. Well, I guess that is what it is.

    Any thoughts or guidance on the above would be appreciated.

    Monday, April 14, 2008 7:43 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the reply.

    OK, seems to be more or less fine, with the exception of this paragraph:

    Code Snippet

    Cluster files - Files that store the actual cluster data from the home computers. These are usually in 4096 byte increments. These files grow to 4 GB in size before a new file is created. These files are stored as Data.XXXX.Z.dat, where XXXX=cluster size in bytes, and Z=0,1,2,…


    Backing up 4gb files online is not going to happen overnight (not with my broadband upload speeds). Is there any way to limit the size of these files to something smaller (say 500mb)?
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:26 AM
  •  Kinetics wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

    OK, seems to be more or less fine, with the exception of this paragraph:

    Code Snippet

    Cluster files - Files that store the actual cluster data from the home computers. These are usually in 4096 byte increments. These files grow to 4 GB in size before a new file is created. These files are stored as Data.XXXX.Z.dat, where XXXX=cluster size in bytes, and Z=0,1,2,…


    Backing up 4gb files online is not going to happen overnight (not with my broadband upload speeds). Is there any way to limit the size of these files to something smaller (say 500mb)?

     

    Not out of the box.  (If it's possible at all, it would have to be a registry hack, which, to the best of my knowledge, no one has tried.  Besides, if your client PC data is that valuable, I wouldn't even consider attempting a hack for something like that.)

     

    The ability to backup your client backups is really meant for a local external drive (and will be a built-in function of Power Pack 1 once it's released).  My suggestion would be to go that route instead.

    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:09 PM
    Moderator
  •  Kinetics wrote:
    Backing up 4gb files online is not going to happen overnight (not with my broadband upload speeds). Is there any way to limit the size of these files to something smaller (say 500mb)?

    No. and if you could, you would still have exactly the same volume of data issue, because you would have 8x as many 500 MB files as you currently have 4 GB files.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:55 AM
    Moderator