WHS File Backup Corrupt! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have alittle problem with my WHS back, basically I had a version of WHS which expired so I managed to backup my files onto a external hardrive. I installed my new copy of the software and copied all my backup files back over but now I can’t seem to open any of my files? Can anyone help or suggest how to fix this problem please as this is for my small business and is causing allot of problems for me.

Thanks

Rockyuk
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:57 PM

All replies

I had a version of WHS which expired so I managed to backup my files onto a external hardrive. I installed my new copy of the software and copied all my backup files back over

Exactly how did you go about this? If you mounted your server's system drive in another computer and copied from D:\Shares, all you got was the "tombstones", which are pointers to the actual files on other drives (and in other locations) in your server. If you then put the system drive back in your server and did an installation from scratch, your files (on those other drives and other locaitons) are effectively gone.

If this is the case, you can try data recovery software to see if you can recover the files from those other drives. I have no recommendations for you here, I'm afraid.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Basically i used a sort of LIVECD type CD to allow me to see the file system i.e i booted up from a virtual operating system and copied all the files over on to my external hardrive as i could not get into the original setup as it had expired. So doing this i thought it was a simple backup of data and transfer it back onto my new setup but i was wrong as i cannot seem to get my data back :-(

Monday, August 30, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Hi,
    the FAQ How to recover data after server failure explains, how to backup and restore the data in case of server problems. (Usually, if the server still is up and running, you would use the included Backup function to backup shared folders to your external drive.)

Maybe you copied the proper data, but the restore process wasn't done correctly. But if you did only copy the links instead of the real files (which may have been done by a "Live CD" - which OS was running on it? - which is not aware of tombstones), there is not much you can do besides trying to recover stuff from not overwritten parts of physical disks with 3rd party software like GetDataBack.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, August 30, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Basically i used a sort of LIVECD type CD to allow me to see the file system i.e i booted up from a virtual operating system and copied all the files over on to my external hardrive as i could not get into the original setup as it had expired. So doing this i thought it was a simple backup of data and transfer it back onto my new setup but i was wrong as i cannot seem to get my data back :-(
    This is the equivalent of mounting the system disk in another computer. If you don't have other backups of your server shares, you can attempt to recover your data using software such as the program Olaf has mentioned. Your degree of success will depend on how much new data is written to your disks, so I would recommend shutting your server down and attempting data recovery one disk at a time on another computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 30, 2010 12:26 PM