none
Receive every post in subscribed forums RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

(I hope it is the good place for this question; if not, please move it to the right place)

I simply want to receive by email, or feed, updates on every post in my subscribed MSDN forums.
    (on either new or existing thread)

I don't find a straight way to do it. Can you help me on that?

Thanks 

Marius

• Moved by Konrad Neitzel Friday, October 5, 2012 9:48 AM (From:Developer Documentation and Help System)
    Friday, October 5, 2012 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Marius,

I fear that this is not possible right now. But I think that something like that would be a great improvement of the forums.

A workaround that could be used might be the nntp bridge. That way you can get all posts of subscribed forums inside any news (nntp) application.

At the moment I am wondering what is more important: Support on a workaround (e.g. using nntp bridge) or submit this request towards Microsoft in the hope that they create such a new feature. I will move the thread towards the Suggestions and Feedback forum so Microsoft has a chance to notice this request.

And others who like such a feature might click on "Vote as Helpfull" to show that such a feature would be something usefull in their eyes, too.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Marius,

I fear that this is not possible right now. But I think that something like that would be a great improvement of the forums.

A workaround that could be used might be the nntp bridge. That way you can get all posts of subscribed forums inside any news (nntp) application.

At the moment I am wondering what is more important: Support on a workaround (e.g. using nntp bridge) or submit this request towards Microsoft in the hope that they create such a new feature. I will move the thread towards the Suggestions and Feedback forum so Microsoft has a chance to notice this request.

And others who like such a feature might click on "Vote as Helpfull" to show that such a feature would be something usefull in their eyes, too.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Thanks Konrad,

I have activated the NNTP bridge.
    Is there any way that I can profit on this via Outlook, let's say? Or should I need a dedicated app for that?

Marius

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:07 AM
  • It is not possible?

I thought it would work when you click on "Alert Me". If it puts you on a special Settings site, type your e-mail adress at "Configure Alerts".

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, mark it as "Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the mainquestion of the thread, mark it as "Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Hi Livio,

the allerts only work per thread. So you can activate the alert for each thread and then you will receive an email whenever something is done inside the thread e.g. a new reply, thread is moved, a post is (un)marked as (proposed) answer, ...

But as far as I know it is not possible on a forum basis. (Or do you see such an option when you look at a forum? Maybe I missed something and such a feature is already available.)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Yea, you're right.

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, mark it as "Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the mainquestion of the thread, mark it as "Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Hi Marius,

as far as I know Outlook does not support the NNTP protocol (And I checked the possible accounts that I could create in outlook and didn't see any news option). So a newsreader application is required for it. There are some nice news readers available. One is called Firebird I think (The mozilla Mail and News client) which is free. Forte Agent is another (commercial) one if I remember correctly.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Question - how do you respond that quickly, Konrad? :)

What do you use as reader/notifier?

Marius

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:46 AM
  • Spamclicking on "My Threads" and looking for text going cursive.

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Hi Marius,

that is quite simple:

• This thread is on my alert list. So whenever one of you posts I receive an email.
      • My email software is running and I get a notification of new emails arriving.
      • Inside the alert emails I also get a link that brings me directly to the thread.
      • The click on the link just opens another tab in my internet explorer in which I already have a session open (so no need to log on again).
      • The last step is now to just click reply to write an answer.

Maybe it even helps that my mailbox is located on Office 365 which is also a Microsoft Service.

In general this is nothing that you can rely on. In the past it happened multiple times that emails was generated long time (multiple days) after the post was done. And it must have been the generation that was delayed and not just a mailserver because
    - the timestamp of the email was a current timestamp
    - I even got a notify of the first post (e.g. Someone writes a question, I write a reply and later I get an email telling me that someone responded to the thread - with the question inside.)

But I also like the idea of Livio but no: I am not trying to test the bandwith or capacity of the webservers :)

And when I click through the forum (e.g. when I am bored), then I always choose "My Forums Threads". That way I see new questions inside forums that I subscribed to and that require an answer. (And where I can also see threads with new replies).

With kind regards,

Konrad

Friday, October 5, 2012 10:59 AM
  • Good -

So nothing different than I do :)

My only real issue are the new threads. This is what I wanted to see in my inbox.

Maybe we can create a request ticket with that - being notified of a new thread creation, and not on every post. This way, you can choose to subscribe to the thread, or not.
    One remark: this is already feasible via Feeds (at forum level). But it is far from real time, most of the time...

Thanks anyway for all the infos!

Marius

Friday, October 5, 2012 11:57 AM
  • There is a RSS link next to the forum's name for public forums on MSDN/Technet/Microsoft.com. For example if you want to subscribe to this forum you can enter http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/threads?outputAs=rss in an RSS reader.

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:06 PM