none
macine could not reload XP home version RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi!

Two weeks ago my computer crashed. A neighbor said he could "help" me out and that I only needed to buy a new hard drive and she could reload my computer.

She installed the new hard drive but could not reintall XP home edition. She reloaded with XP pro and told me that I have to purchase XP pro within 30 days.

Great help...now I have to spend $154, or $199, or $299. Would rather buy a new computer but I run AutoCAD 2007 and can not use Vista.

Questions:

1) why could he not reload XP home edition that came with my computer? My e-machine came with 2 disks that had been used once before 1 yr. ago to reload my computer. She said they were not working. 

2) if I buy XP pro which of the three products do I need?

Note: I had my files backed-up so I have not lost much...just need my computer back

Thank you for any help you may provide.

Hightide

feeling completely underwater.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:33 AM

Answers

• Hello Hightide,

Below I provided information which may assist you prior making any purchases. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Take care

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Hi!

Two weeks ago my computer crashed. A neighbor said he could "help" me out and that I only needed to buy a new hard drive and she could reload my computer.

She installed the new hard drive but could not reintall XP home edition. She reloaded with XP pro and told me that I have to purchase XP pro within 30 days.

Great help...now I have to spend $154, or $199, or $299. Would rather buy a new computer but I run AutoCAD 2007 and can not use Vista.  Should you decide to purchasae a new system you may be able to use AutoCAD by having both operating systems installed using a dual boot. I will say this is out of the WGA Forum Scope. 

Questions:

1) why could he not reload XP home edition that came with my computer? My e-machine came with 2 disks that had been used once before 1 yr. ago to reload my computer. She said they were not working. 

"There are different types of licenses for XP that consumers will encounter, retail (aka full packaged product), and OEM (original equipment manufacturer). Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer.  OEM licenses for XP are tied to the first computer onto which they are installed and the license is not permitted to be moved to any other computer. Upgrading a computer (without hardware failure) to a certain extent may require the customer to re-purchase Windows. Should you need to replace a part because of failure (like your sitution) then attempt to place with like parts from the manufacturer.  Please reference the following site for activation and registration centers for Microsoft products:   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 .  The KB article will provide numbers to call for activating Microsoft products. 

Note: I had my files backed-up so I have not lost much...just need my computer back

Hightide

Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi !

I have gone through your problem and it seems that you have tried installing some other OS prior to this attempt without formatting your machine. Carry out the following steps which will solve your problem of installing WINDOWS XP HOME.

1. Back up your data.

2. Using Partition Magic or any other partitioning software, delete the partition which contains your Operating System or on which you had previously installed the OS. You can also use FDISK for this.

3. Now insert your original WINDOWS XP HOME CD which came with your PC and restart your machine. It is 100% guaranteed that this start the installation of OS, unless otherwise there is a physical damage to your hard drive.

Please post me back on the success achieved.

Best of luck.

RAJEEV KUMAR SETHI

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:18 AM
  • Hello Hightide,

Below I provided information which may assist you prior making any purchases. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Take care

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Hi!

Great help...now I have to spend $154, or $199, or $299. Would rather buy a new computer but I run AutoCAD 2007 and can not use Vista.  Should you decide to purchasae a new system you may be able to use AutoCAD by having both operating systems installed using a dual boot. I will say this is out of the WGA Forum Scope. 

Questions:

"There are different types of licenses for XP that consumers will encounter, retail (aka full packaged product), and OEM (original equipment manufacturer). Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer.  OEM licenses for XP are tied to the first computer onto which they are installed and the license is not permitted to be moved to any other computer. Upgrading a computer (without hardware failure) to a certain extent may require the customer to re-purchase Windows. Should you need to replace a part because of failure (like your sitution) then attempt to place with like parts from the manufacturer.  Please reference the following site for activation and registration centers for Microsoft products:   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 .  The KB article will provide numbers to call for activating Microsoft products. 

Hightide

Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:10 AM
  • Thank you Stephen.

A follow up.

You said Should you need to replace a part because of failure (like your sitution) then attempt to place with like parts from the manufacturer. 

>>>  What if I already replaced with a product from another manufacturer?  My product was previously activated and I had regular downloaded updates.

I was quite happy with XP home edition and would rather replace what I had than go with the XP pro that is now on this computer. Not sure I understand how I might be able to reload.

Hope the question is not repetitive.

HT

Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:20 AM
  • Hello Hightide,

Replacing the hard drive should be okay. Other components such as a motherboard will present different concerns. Install the hard drive you have already purchased. Install your XP Home Edition which came with your computer. You may be required to telephone activate because of changing your hard drive. Please reference the following site for activation and registration centers for Microsoft products:   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 .  The KB article will provide numbers to call for activating Microsoft products. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Hightide

I had suggested you a remedy. Did you try. What was the outcome? Can you let me know on my e-mail ID  and . Desperately waiting for your response. Respond Immediately.

Rajeev Sethi

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:14 AM