Does Live.com has any problem with 301 permanent redirects? RRS feed

• Question

• I have heard it at many forums actually that live.com has problem with 301 redirects. If you're using 301 then your website will not indexed properly. My website was listed very well and even ranked good for all my keywords but i started using 301 redirect in last Jan 2007 and i noticed that my all pages were removed live results all of sudden! All other search engines listed my website while live has hardly indexed one (homepage.)

All content of my website is unique and i haven't tried any blackhat link building methods ever. still wondering if this matters to live?

Anyways, i just signed up with webmaster central today. It looks good Smile
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:21 AM

Answers

• Last time a person from Microsoft wrote on these forums said that Live.com can't handle 301 redirects at the moment and he suggested us to use 302 instead. I personally tried both to resolve my non-www issues for my homepage on Live, but to-date no improvement in this matter.

Having said that, I am currently still using a 302 general redirect for canonicalization purposes and have around 400 pages indexed as opposed to around 50 few months ago. I kept building links of course in meantime too, so not sure whether it's the 302 redirect or inbound links that helped most in getting more pages indexed.

Anyway, good luck Stick out tongue

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:27 PM

All replies

• Last time a person from Microsoft wrote on these forums said that Live.com can't handle 301 redirects at the moment and he suggested us to use 302 instead. I personally tried both to resolve my non-www issues for my homepage on Live, but to-date no improvement in this matter.

Having said that, I am currently still using a 302 general redirect for canonicalization purposes and have around 400 pages indexed as opposed to around 50 few months ago. I kept building links of course in meantime too, so not sure whether it's the 302 redirect or inbound links that helped most in getting more pages indexed.

Anyway, good luck Stick out tongue

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:27 PM
  • Any official progress about 301 redirects? It's a pain trying to please all different search engines atm Stick out tongue
    Friday, July 25, 2008 9:20 AM