What is the point of \Photos? RRS feed

• Question

• I moved a ton of images into the \Photos folder, but it didn't seem to do anything w/ regard to sharing or managing photos.

It seems that I need to upload photos via the web interface in order to take advantage of those features.

Is this correct?  If so, what is the point of \Photos?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 2:55 AM

Answers

• Lara Jones said:

cmay said: I don't think putting pictures in the \Photos folder does anything different than putting them in any other folder.

If you have an HP MediaSmart Server, you can set up your photosharing website which maps to that share just as the iTunes server maps to the music share

This is not true, actually. The HP Photo Webshare application doesn't relate in any way to the Photos share. There is no link (and I don't really know why HP didn't link them).

The Photos, Music, and Videos shares are special in that they are the shares that Windows Media Connect (the streaming software built into Windows Home Server) is preconfigured to index and stream to media devices on your network.

The Software share is, initially, the location where the Windows Home Server Connector installation package is located, and where the Add-Ins folder is found.

An end user can, of course, put anything they like in any of the preexisting shares, or shares they create themselves. The Add-ins and Home Server Connector Software folders under Software must remain untouched, however; Windows Home Server relies on them being in particular locations, with particular files, for proper operation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by cmay Monday, December 15, 2008 9:23 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:23 PM

All replies

• cmay said:

I moved a ton of images into the \Photos folder, but it didn't seem to do anything w/ regard to sharing or managing photos.

It seems that I need to upload photos via the web interface in order to take advantage of those features.

Is this correct?  If so, what is the point of \Photos?

Do you have an HP MediaSmart Server (or is this a self-built system)?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the photos share is set up to be able to allow you to view photos from other networked devices (i.e. XBox 360).  As for sharing, it's controlled by creating users and either allowing or denying access.  If that doesn't answer your question, please be more specific (error messages, what you've done so far, etc.).
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:37 AM
  •   So I think my question is at least similar, but I will ask it in a different way. After creating user account I have a bunch of shared and private folders for me (and the other users in my home) on the windows server. How do I use / access them? Why doesn't the connect software map these folders into Explorer under my user account so I can see them? I am running Vista, how do I map them so that I can see them? If i want to replace my Pictures folder with a map to the Home server folder How do I do this? I installed Live Mesh the other day and the Live Mesh folders showed up as i would expect my Home server folders to show up, with a nice pretty Icon and everything. How can I do this?

Thanks
    Monday, December 15, 2008 3:51 AM
  • N Anderton said:

So I think my question is at least similar, but I will ask it in a different way. After creating user account I have a bunch of shared and private folders for me (and the other users in my home) on the windows server. How do I use / access them?

You access them from your client PCs.  Just make sure the username/password you use to logon to the client matches the username/password you created on the server.

N Anderton said:

Why doesn't the connect software map these folders into Explorer under my user account so I can see them?

It creates a shortcut to the server on your desktop.  If you want to map drive letters to specific shares, you can do that as well.

N Anderton said:

I am running Vista, how do I map them so that I can see them?

The same way you map any network share.  Click Start, Computer, Map Network Drive.  Then select a drive letter and browse to the network share.

N Anderton said:

If i want to replace my Pictures folder with a map to the Home server folder How do I do this?

Right click Pictures, select Properties, then click the Location tab and change it to where you want it to look.

N Anderton said:

I installed Live Mesh the other day and the Live Mesh folders showed up as i would expect my Home server folders to show up, with a nice pretty Icon and everything. How can I do this?

Thanks

Monday, December 15, 2008 4:15 AM
  • Thanks, I feel like an idiot, I never noticed the shortcut before. I still think the user experience could be alot better, but i guess most of the blame goes to Vista as it's windows explorer is kinda flaky. The Home server does not shows up under network except as a link to the home server as a web site. Weird. Clicking on the shortcut you mentioned will get it to show up in explorer under network.  Also moving the location of one of those folders under your user name can have very unpredictable results - but i suppose that i should post those questions in a visa forum. Thanks If any one has any idea on how to make a new Public \ Photos folder show up under the user that would be great. It would be nice to be able to have 2 seperate picture folders one that points at private pictures and the other to the public picture location.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:35 AM

• N Anderton said:Thanks If any one has any idea on how to make a new Public \ Photos folder show up under the user that would be great. It would be nice to be able to have 2 seperate picture folders one that points at private pictures and the other to the public picture location.

This would be under shared folders in the Windows Home Server Console.  You can create another folder and restrict permissions to just one user (or two). You can name the folder something like My Pictures or Family Pictures.  I've done this with several folders. i.e. I didn't want audiobooks stored in my music folder tvshows bought from iTunes stored in my video folders, etc.

Thanks.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:59 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Do you have an HP MediaSmart Server (or is this a self-built system)?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but the photos share is set up to be able to allow you to view photos from other networked devices (i.e. XBox 360).  As for sharing, it's controlled by creating users and either allowing or denying access.  If that doesn't answer your question, please be more specific (error messages, what you've done so far, etc.).

I have the HP MediaSmart.  By default, the HP creates some network shares with special icons such as
    Photos
    Music
    Videos
    Software

Seeing how these folders were preinstalled (not created by me) and how they seem preconfigured to deal with specific media, I had figured that they DO something.

In other words, had I created a share called \MyPics I would expect that there would be something different between the builtin \Photos and my \MyPics share, but I don't think there is any difference.

I don't think putting pictures in the \Photos folder does anything different than putting them in any other folder.

So my question was, what is the point of \Photos?  Creating my own generic folder called \Pics, or \Vids or \Media is very simple, so why create these built in folders?  Is the only reason that they figure users are too stupid to create their own folders?  Thats all I can think of.  When I copied my pictures into the \photos share I expected to maybe be able to manage them via a home server interface, or at the minimum share them with friends/family via the builtin HP photo sharing application, but from all I can see putting files in the \Photos folder does nothing different than putting them in the \XYZ share.

Monday, December 15, 2008 5:34 PM
  • cmay said: I don't think putting pictures in the \Photos folder does anything different than putting them in any other folder.

If you have an HP MediaSmart Server, you can set up your photosharing website which maps to that share just as the iTunes server maps to the music share

cmay said: Is the only reason that they figure users are too stupid to create their own folders?  Thats all I can think of. 

We have had customers, just today, ask how to create shared folders using the Windows Home Server Console. Please be more respectful of people asking for help in the forums.

cmay said:When I copied my pictures into the \photos share I expected to maybe be able to manage them via a home server interface, or at the minimum share them with friends/family via the builtin HP photo sharing application, but from all I can see putting files in the \Photos folder does nothing different than putting them in the \XYZ share.

Did you set up the website so friends and family could view them via your homeserver domain? Have you configured your Website?

Monday, December 15, 2008 6:03 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

Did you set up the website so friends and family could view them via your homeserver domain? Have you configured your Website?

I believe I have setup the HP photosharing site, as well as the homeserver domain/site.  I can browse to view the sample photo album. 

However, you said the photosharing website maps to the \photos share, but is it possible that all that it really does is copy photos to \photos when you upload them via the web interface?  In other words, requiring you to manually creating albums, picking photos from your hard drive, uploading them via the browser (and then they are saved in \photos) as opposed to copying pictures to \photos and having them served up automatically (or via configuration by the user) through the photo sharing site.

There is no way I am going to "upload" the tens or hundreds of thousands of pictures that already exist in the \photos folder back through the web interface in order for the home server to recognize these pictures and allow me to share them with friends / family.  That would take forever.  That is my guess as to how it works.  Basically that copying photos into the \Photos share doesn't allow you to share them with people on the internet via the photo sharing website.  You have to manually upload photos via the web interface, and approve them to be accessible via the sharing site.  Do I have that right?  If so, that kinda stinks.  It'd be just as easy to do that with Flickr or any other photo sharing service.

Monday, December 15, 2008 6:19 PM
  • cmay said:
    However, you said the photosharing website maps to the \photos share, but is it possible that all that it really does is copy photos to \photos when you upload them via the web interface?  In other words, requiring you to manually creating albums, picking photos from your hard drive, uploading them via the browser (and then they are saved in \photos) as opposed to copying pictures to \photos and having them served up automatically (or via configuration by the user) through the photo sharing site.

No, it is not a service where you upload the images to a HP or third party website like flickr. 

Please see this FAQ question: http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/565653-0-0-225-121.html

Thank you
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:37 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

No, it is not a service where you upload the images to a HP or third party website like flickr. 

Please see this FAQ question: http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/565653-0-0-225-121.html

Am I missing something?

The FAQ you link to says:

What are the details of the HP MediaSmart Server’s Photo Webshare feature?

HP’s Photo Webshare feature is an easy, secure way to share photos and video clips with friends, relatives or clients directly from the HP MediaSmart Server.  Set up separate groups for viewing different photo albums.  An email containing a link to your server, including authentication, can automatically be sent to visitors each time you add new photos.  Visitors can view the photos, save the photos to their own PC, and/or send photos to Snapfish for printing.  Selected visitors can also be given permission to add their own photos for sharing (e.g. a ski club Group could be setup that allowed each member to add their own photos to the album).

I haven't seen any way to create albums or "add new photos" other than by logging into the photo webshare:
    https://myserver.homeserver.com/WebShare

I've looked all over google for anyone who is sharing photos without first creating albums and uploading photos via the web interface.

This process would be the same as uploading to Flickr, except the files would go off to a 3rd party to host them instead of "uploading" to your local server. 

Can you tell me where I need to go, where I need to click/navigate etc to share photos in the \photos folder w/o uploading them with a web browser?  I don't think it is possible.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

cmay said: I don't think putting pictures in the \Photos folder does anything different than putting them in any other folder.

This is not true, actually. The HP Photo Webshare application doesn't relate in any way to the Photos share. There is no link (and I don't really know why HP didn't link them).

The Photos, Music, and Videos shares are special in that they are the shares that Windows Media Connect (the streaming software built into Windows Home Server) is preconfigured to index and stream to media devices on your network.

The Software share is, initially, the location where the Windows Home Server Connector installation package is located, and where the Add-Ins folder is found.

An end user can, of course, put anything they like in any of the preexisting shares, or shares they create themselves. The Add-ins and Home Server Connector Software folders under Software must remain untouched, however; Windows Home Server relies on them being in particular locations, with particular files, for proper operation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by cmay Monday, December 15, 2008 9:23 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Lara Jones said:

This is not true, actually. The HP Photo Webshare application doesn't relate in any way to the Photos share. There is no link

Ok thank you!!!

So to recap:

1) \Photos is only "special" in that other media connect devices will look for them

2) The HP Photosharing site doesn't share any photos in the \photos folder

3) Sharing photos via the photosharing site is no different from Flickr or any other photo sharing site in that you have to manage everything through a web interface, and you have to upload the pictures you want to share from your local hard drive.  Very very disappointing.  Using Flickr is a pain, but it's better than this option so I guess I'll keep using it.

Monday, December 15, 2008 9:29 PM