WHS Connector Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have 5 client computers connected to my home server. One is running XP, 2 are running Vista Ultimate x86 and 2 run Vista Ultimate x64. Except for one of them, they all work just fine.

I have some issues with one of the computers with Vista Ultimate x64. What always happens is that when I connect to the WHS Console for the first time since the computer was turned on, the connection works without problems. However, I disconnect the console, then during the same session (without rebooting the computer) I try to connect again, the console becomes non-responsive. The console loads the menu and everything, but it's like a picture, none of the tab buttons are active. I have to disconnect, then reset the console from Options. Once I do that, it all works only one time for the next connection, after reset. Then again becomes non-responsive.

The weird part is that first of all the other PC running Vista x64 works ok. Secondly, I thought that maybe there's some bad setting that I got, so I have formatted the C: drive and installed Windows 7 RC. Of course I had to re-install the connector, and guess what: same problem. First time the connection works, then it doesn't, unless I reset the console.

So 2 different operation systems on the same computer and I still get this thing.

Whenever the connection works properly it takes a little bit of time from the moment I click the button until I get the full console open. Whenever it doesn't work, the console opens in a fraction of a second, more like is being loaded from memory somehow, instead of actually connecting.

I also used to have an HP server EX485, and now I moved up to a homemade server, for extra performance. I used to have the same problem on this particular PC with the HP server, as I have now.

Anybody has encountered this problem?

My client pc configuration is:

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    CPU: Core i7 920
    RAM: 3 x 2GB (6 GB DDR3)
    Power Supply: 850W

Thank you,
    Alin

Friday, July 24, 2009 5:36 PM

All replies

• Alin,
    what happens when you use Remote Desktop to connect to your server. Does it shows similar issues?
    Are there any warnings or errors in your event log on that machine?
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:47 AM
  • Hi Martin,

Remote desktop works without flaw. I have installed Windows7 final version and still have this issue. Fresh installation, hdd formatted, etc. Very weird, since a second x64 pc works just fine. What I do is connect with Remote Desktop to the server, then on the server I open the console and do whatever I need to do. I got used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore. Maybe it will be fixed in a future service pack.

Thanks,
    Alin
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Can you make sure that both the server and the computer are on the same subnet?
    Also, can you check to make sure that the any firewalls on the machine are configured to allow remote desktop?
    Can you check that terminal services is enabled as a service?
    Have you updated the server recently?

Edit: You might want to try this solution http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/faf367ff-a70c-4099-aa80-a785b11de413/
    Also, you have a sweet rig, I was thinking of building one of those soon (SLI as well).
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:12 PM