Cannot find backup! RRS feed

• Question

• Ok,
    So I got a new laptop and I have been backing it up to WHS. Today I had to format the hard drive and down grade to Windows XP for work related software reasons. As soon as I finished installing XP I installed WHS Connection software on XP. I gave the new install the same name as the old Vista install. I then proceed to WHS Console to recover all of my documents from a past back up ... problem, WHS does not look at the old backups it only looks at the new backup.

For example, I get into the backup details window, select a backup on some date, click open. And then I can see WHS move my selection to the new install and then it brings up my back up for the new install that I just made. I have tried selecting a different backup and it always brings up the same files.

I have lost all of my file and all of my recent work. Please tell me I can somehow recover that data.
    Friday, October 5, 2007 4:26 AM

Answers

• I would try the following:

1. Try logging onto the WHS using RDP as Administrator

2. Open WHS console and try to restore files from there.

If this does not work:

1. Select to delete the last backup, and then run backup - cleanup from the settings menu in the WHS console.

2. Try and restore the files again. 

If this does not work:

1. Uninstall connector software on the laptop

2. Rename the system

3. Install connector software, don't schedule any backups.

4. Try and recover files

If this does not work:

1. Select to delete the last backup, and then run backup - cleanup from the settings menu in the WHS console.

2. Restore the original Vista system using the WHS restore CD.

3. Backup your files and reinstall XP.

If this also doesn't work post here again. I'm sure someone will have a solution for your problem

Friday, October 5, 2007 8:57 PM

All replies

• What version of WHS are you using? If you are not sure, go into WHS Console, click Settings and then Resources.

If you had successfull backups with WHS and they are not set to delete then they should still be there and hopefully you havent lost your work. I have done a similar thing with my tablet, I had Vista Business running and downgraded it back to XP because the battery life was better but I managed to recover the files.

Can you try accessing the backups from a different machine and copying the data back that way?

Andrew

Friday, October 5, 2007 10:14 AM
  • I have tried opening the backup from a different machine, no luck.
    I am running version  6.0.1371.0

Brian
    Friday, October 5, 2007 6:19 PM
  • I would try the following:

1. Try logging onto the WHS using RDP as Administrator

2. Open WHS console and try to restore files from there.

If this does not work:

2. Try and restore the files again. 

If this does not work:

1. Uninstall connector software on the laptop

2. Rename the system

3. Install connector software, don't schedule any backups.

4. Try and recover files

If this does not work:

2. Restore the original Vista system using the WHS restore CD.

3. Backup your files and reinstall XP.

If this also doesn't work post here again. I'm sure someone will have a solution for your problem

Friday, October 5, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Still no luck. Does anyone else have other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    Monday, October 8, 2007 3:45 PM
  •  brizznady wrote:
    Still no luck. Does anyone else have other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    What did you try? (and what not?)
    Monday, October 8, 2007 9:37 PM
  • (suggestion 1)

I cannot recover files on WHS over RDP because of error message telling me that you have to be using a computer  other than the WHS box to open a backup.

(suggestion 2)

Tried, did not work.

(suggestion 3)

Opens a "backup" with 5 folders (boot, efi, GCLOG, Recovery, and sources) none of these folders were on the original computer. I have no idea where these folder came from.

(suggestion 4)

I was reluctant to try this but it did work.

I think that the WHS team needs to take a look at this bug, this was really annoying and time consuming.

Thank you,
    Brian
    Tuesday, October 9, 2007 2:23 PM
  •  brizznady wrote:

I was reluctant to try this but it did work.

I think that the WHS team needs to take a look at this bug, this was really annoying and time consuming.

Thank you,
    Brian

OK, happy for you it worked. It's not nice to loose your work! All your files intact?

Some general advise, NEVER EVER trust your essential files to WHS as the only backup location, not as a PC backup and not on a duplicated share. There's still way to many issues with WHS to consider it a reliable storage / backup system. At the moment it's a very nice system to play around with or store non-essential data that you don't mind losing forever. Knowing MS I'm sure it will mature within 1 - 2 years, however until that time it's better to be safe then sorry.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 2:58 PM