none
why does windows 10 not play DVDs on new machine, not a download.

Question

• I purchased a new HP machine with windows 10 installed 3 weeks ago. It will not play any of my training DVD, the most recent of which is only a few months old. A projector error message appears. This is poor. How do we resolve this problem & why were these machines ever sold if they are incapable of playing a simple DVD ?
    • Moved by Just KarlModerator Friday, February 26, 2016 3:09 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Friday, February 26, 2016 9:43 AM

Answers

• I purchased a new HP machine with windows 10 installed 3 weeks ago. It will not play any of my training DVD, the most recent of which is only a few months old. A projector error message appears. This is poor. How do we resolve this problem

Hello,

I'd ask in the Music, Photos, and Video forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

why were these machines ever sold if they are incapable of playing a simple DVD ?
    You'd need to ask HP this one.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, February 26, 2016 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Friday, February 26, 2016 2:59 PM
  • I purchased a new HP machine with windows 10 installed 3 weeks ago. It will not play any of my training DVD, the most recent of which is only a few months old. A projector error message appears. This is poor. How do we resolve this problem

Hello,

I'd ask in the Music, Photos, and Video forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

why were these machines ever sold if they are incapable of playing a simple DVD ?
    You'd need to ask HP this one.

Karl

Friday, February 26, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Hi Mick664,

I had the same question and same up with this answer:  (this system won't let me include the link, but D. Wu evidently works for Microsoft)

Hi,

Unfortunately unlike previous versions of Windows, Windows 8 and 10 don’t include built-in support for playing DVDs. You can search for a DVD player app in the Windows Store (learn more about the Windows Store). If you have Windows 8.1 Pro, you can also buy the Media Center Pack that includes DVD playback.

Regards

D. Wu

• Edited by mom2347 Friday, June 24, 2016 4:19 PM
    Friday, June 24, 2016 4:18 PM