6.14TB total space 5.46TB FREE space - Disk Full? -RESOLVED, see Below RRS feed

• Question

• At a complete loss here.  After being made aware that WHS does NOT recognize RAID arrays, I made the choice to break apart the array and add the drives in one piece at a time.

the PRIMARY OS drive is a 750GB drive, of which WHS took 20GB for the OS install, leaving 698GB (give or take) for the DATA drive.

I then added in four (4) 1.5TB drives, one at a time to give me a total of 6.14TB of free space.  WHS Server Storage on the right panel shows clearly that i am only 11% used, with 88% or 5.46TB of drive space available.

I am cleaning off all my other nodes on the network, moving all files to the WHS, and as of an hour ago, the server is failing, telling me with error, that I need to free up disk space on the D drive (DATA DRIVE), that I have run out of space. 

Please tell me I didn't bork this install twice now?

Thank you in advance for any direction.  I have a feeling it has something to do with the 2TB limits, but where would I make the change and am I already in trouble since there is data on these drives.

3rd side part to the question:

I understand why WHS doenst play well with RAID arrays, and I see how easy it is to extend drive space.  But how, if a drive is going bad, woudl you ever get it moved out?  How does WHS write to these drives once they become part of the 'shared storage pool'?

does WHS stripe data across all drives? or does it write to the drives sequentially, filling one and then moving onto the next? even though it shows all the drives as essentially part of a 'volume set'?

thanks agian in advance.  I really need to get this data off all these drives and onto the WHS, I hope someone has guidance as to why I am getting a 'out of disk space' error when I clearly have more than enough drive space added in.

-Andrew
    • Edited by Javad0g Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:15 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 10:46 PM

Answers

• Ken, I certainly appreciate you getting back to me.  And I self-fixed the issue, but what I did will prob be of knowledge and use to others so here is what happened.

I created a share folder OUTSIDE the Console management (again, completely new to WHS so I did not realize what kind of issue this would cause).  I shared the folder and give users access, however, WHS had no idea of how to manage it due to me not creating the share folder through the front-end interface.

so in essence, while i created a public share, WHS had no way to move that data to the other 1.5TB pooled storage because the share was not technically part of the 'shared folders'.

Once i took that data OUT of the shared folder I created, deleted the shared folder I created, and then READDED the share folder through the WHS console, I have had no further issues moving data over.

ONE CURIOUSITY that I would like some clairity on:  I have been moving data onto my WHS now at a constant rate for 15 hours.  (I have a TON of data from my network that is going to sit on here).  I notice that when I go into Disk Management, and look at the PROPERTIES of the D (DATA) disk, it shows itself as 100% full.  Now granted I have not stopped data transfer to this unit yet for any length of time. 

Once I get done with the data transfer, would I expect WHS to free up some of the space on that initial disk and give itself breathing room by moving data to the other drives in the pool?  Or is it normal for it to fill that initial D (data) drive completely, and now move on to the other drives filling them one at a time?

Thank you again for getting back to me, silly mistake I made, but for those others out there, I am glad I made it, because I am sure I am not the first one to make this oversight, and will certainly not be the last.

Thank you again all for the help and direction

-Andrew
    Computer Management Solutions
    • Marked as answer by Javad0g Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:14 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:14 PM

All replies

• At a complete loss here.  After being made aware that WHS does NOT recognize RAID arrays, I made the choice to break apart the array and add the drives in one piece at a time.

the PRIMARY OS drive is a 750GB drive, of which WHS took 20GB for the OS install, leaving 698GB (give or take) for the DATA drive.

I then added in four (4) 1.5TB drives, one at a time to give me a total of 6.14TB of free space.  WHS Server Storage on the right panel shows clearly that i am only 11% used, with 88% or 5.46TB of drive space available.

I am cleaning off all my other nodes on the network, moving all files to the WHS, and as of an hour ago, the server is failing, telling me with error, that I need to free up disk space on the D drive (DATA DRIVE), that I have run out of space. 

Please tell me I didn't bork this install twice now?

What are the component numbers?  (WHS Console, Settings button, Resources tab)

Thank you in advance for any direction.  I have a feeling it has something to do with the 2TB limits

As long as you added each 1.5 TB drive separately (instead of one big RAID array), it has nothing to do with the 2 TB limit.

but where would I make the change and am I already in trouble since there is data on these drives.

3rd side part to the question:

I understand why WHS doenst play well with RAID arrays, and I see how easy it is to extend drive space.  But how, if a drive is going bad, woudl you ever get it moved out?

You just remove it through the Console.

How does WHS write to these drives once they become part of the 'shared storage pool'?

The secondary drives are formatted as standard NTFS partitions and WHS writes to them as regular drives.

does WHS stripe data across all drives?

No.  There is no RAID technology involved.

or does it write to the drives sequentially, filling one and then moving onto the next? even though it shows all the drives as essentially part of a 'volume set'?

It writes a file to the drive with the least free space and will continue to do so until that drive is nearly full, then it proceeds with the next drive with the least free space.

thanks agian in advance.  I really need to get this data off all these drives and onto the WHS, I hope someone has guidance as to why I am getting a 'out of disk space' error when I clearly have more than enough drive space added in.

-Andrew

Monday, April 13, 2009 10:57 PM
  • WHS Console: 6.0.2030.0

thanks for the info on the rest of my 'other' questions.

I understand it uses no RAID technology and now I am clear on how it utilizes disk space.

I hope the console version gives you some idea.  if you want, i can take any number of screen prints (dont know if i can embed them in a post)

but im looking at a setup that has 4 1.5TB drives added to the original partition of 698GB from initial install, and I have hardly come close to moving all the data back over into it.

at MOST ive moved the original 698GB worth of data.  something tells me that its seeing only that original partition from the 750GB drive.

but why would the Storage Manager show me as having 5.46TB of 'free space'

thanks again in advance for any guidance and help.

-Andrew

**EDIT**

the original amount of the DATA (D:) Drive that was created from the original install (before adding the 1.5TB drives (4)) was 698GB.
    i just did a check, and the total amount of data i have moved onto the D: Drive is 678GB.  Somewhere it thinks that the drive is only that, and not the 5.46TB that I have created by adding the 4 1.5TB drives.
    Disk Management shows the drives as BASIC DRIVES, if that makes any difference.  again, i can Screen Cap any and all of these pages if it would help create a clearer view.  and yes, for the record i feel silly having an issue like this when ive been doing this as long as i have, but i really am unfamiliar with how WHS handles drive space, so i guess im learning trial-by-fire.

thanks again in advance for any and all help.  trying to be patient........
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:26 PM
  • WHS Console: 6.0.2030.0

Ok, that's all of the updates.

thanks for the info on the rest of my 'other' questions.

I understand it uses no RAID technology and now I am clear on how it utilizes disk space.

I hope the console version gives you some idea.  if you want, i can take any number of screen prints (dont know if i can embed them in a post)

Can you provide a pic of Disk Management (you can post it on a website such as Flickr then link to the pic here)?  TBH, it's been so long since I embedded a pic, I forgot how to do it (plus that was 2 forum versions ago ;)  ).

but im looking at a setup that has 4 1.5TB drives added to the original partition of 698GB from initial install, and I have hardly come close to moving all the data back over into it.

at MOST ive moved the original 698GB worth of data.  something tells me that its seeing only that original partition from the 750GB drive.

but why would the Storage Manager show me as having 5.46TB of 'free space'

thanks again in advance for any guidance and help.

-Andrew

**EDIT**

the original amount of the DATA (D:) Drive that was created from the original install (before adding the 1.5TB drives (4)) was 698GB.
    i just did a check, and the total amount of data i have moved onto the D: Drive is 678GB.  Somewhere it thinks that the drive is only that, and not the 5.46TB that I have created by adding the 4 1.5TB drives.

Can you please clarify something?  If you logon to the server desktop and open My Computer, what does it say for Total Size and Free Space on the D (DATA) partition?

Disk Management shows the drives as BASIC DRIVES, if that makes any difference.

That's normal.

again, i can Screen Cap any and all of these pages if it would help create a clearer view.  and yes, for the record i feel silly having an issue like this when ive been doing this as long as i have, but i really am unfamiliar with how WHS handles drive space, so i guess im learning trial-by-fire.

thanks again in advance for any and all help.  trying to be patient........

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:08 AM
  • Question: how exactly are you moving these files to your server? Are you copying them to \\server\sharename, or are you copying them to D:\Shares\sharename? Only the former is supported; any variation on the latter (such as accessing the administrative shares for your drives) is unsupported and may cause the problem you describe.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Ken, I certainly appreciate you getting back to me.  And I self-fixed the issue, but what I did will prob be of knowledge and use to others so here is what happened.

I created a share folder OUTSIDE the Console management (again, completely new to WHS so I did not realize what kind of issue this would cause).  I shared the folder and give users access, however, WHS had no idea of how to manage it due to me not creating the share folder through the front-end interface.

so in essence, while i created a public share, WHS had no way to move that data to the other 1.5TB pooled storage because the share was not technically part of the 'shared folders'.

Once i took that data OUT of the shared folder I created, deleted the shared folder I created, and then READDED the share folder through the WHS console, I have had no further issues moving data over.

ONE CURIOUSITY that I would like some clairity on:  I have been moving data onto my WHS now at a constant rate for 15 hours.  (I have a TON of data from my network that is going to sit on here).  I notice that when I go into Disk Management, and look at the PROPERTIES of the D (DATA) disk, it shows itself as 100% full.  Now granted I have not stopped data transfer to this unit yet for any length of time. 

Once I get done with the data transfer, would I expect WHS to free up some of the space on that initial disk and give itself breathing room by moving data to the other drives in the pool?  Or is it normal for it to fill that initial D (data) drive completely, and now move on to the other drives filling them one at a time?

Thank you again for getting back to me, silly mistake I made, but for those others out there, I am glad I made it, because I am sure I am not the first one to make this oversight, and will certainly not be the last.

-Andrew
    • Marked as answer by Javad0g Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:14 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:14 PM

That's one of the many reasons why accessing the server desktop is unsupported (and why there is that big warning when you do logon to the desktop ;)  ).

Are you looking at the pie chart for the D partition?  If so, that is normal behavior.  The pie chart doesn't work correctly on WHS because of the way it relays how much free space is available to the clients (due to the way WHS handles files in the background).  Check your Total Space/Free Space on that partition and I'll bet your Free Space is more than the Total Space, which is obviously not possible (except on WHS).

-Andrew
    My advice to you:  Don't logon to the server desktop any more.  Enjoy WHS for what it is (in other words, let it do its job :)  ).
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:21 PM
  • I certainly appreciate your candor Kayira,

its the Network Admin/IT geek in me that has/wants to look at ALL the parts.  I am now done with my data migration.. moved a total of 3.2TB of data in and have 3.2TB free, so plenty of room for me to grow.

as SOON as get all the data organized (this is over a year of jumbled data across multiple nodes), I am going to unplug the monitor/kb/mouse.  leave it plugged in with power and a network cable and forever not touch it from the 'inside'.

now correct me if im wrong, but there IS another client I install in order to 'work' with the back end?  (ie, something besides just my login via web interface)?

i really appreciate all the help here, jumped in with both feet as usual, but im getting ramped up quick.

fyi, my desktop node on the network is XP 64bit.  Besides supporting it for my clients, I have managed to stay away from vista, and plan on a direct migration to Win7 when its out....

thanks again

-Andrew
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:50 AM
  • I certainly appreciate your candor Kayira,

its the Network Admin/IT geek in me that has/wants to look at ALL the parts.

I've been there and done that during the WHS beta.  I learned that lesson the hard way. ;)  There is nothing wrong with looking at the parts, just don't touch them unless you really know what you're doing. :)

I am now done with my data migration.. moved a total of 3.2TB of data in and have 3.2TB free, so plenty of room for me to grow.

as SOON as get all the data organized (this is over a year of jumbled data across multiple nodes), I am going to unplug the monitor/kb/mouse.  leave it plugged in with power and a network cable and forever not touch it from the 'inside'.

now correct me if im wrong, but there IS another client I install in order to 'work' with the back end?  (ie, something besides just my login via web interface)?

You can use RDC, but accessing the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.  Remember: it's designed so that all administrative functions are done through the Console.  You should never have any reason to access the server desktop at all.

i really appreciate all the help here, jumped in with both feet as usual, but im getting ramped up quick.

fyi, my desktop node on the network is XP 64bit.  Besides supporting it for my clients, I have managed to stay away from vista, and plan on a direct migration to Win7 when its out....

thanks again

-Andrew

Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:26 AM
  • You should never have any reason to access the server desktop at all.
    I would say, the one exclusion here is the installation of drivers which are not applied during the automated installation process on a self built system. (Without a working network interface a server is a bit hard to control remotely.)
    Best greetings from Germany Olaf
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:06 AM
  • I think I found another reason.  Moving data around. from share to share.

Going to start a thread regarding this issue, as this thread was dealing with a RAID array and not data management.

-Andrew
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:21 AM

• Hello Olaf.
    This is in the wrong plaice probably.

I have the SuperMicro A+ Server 1020P-TB (it has a hardware RAID), running 2 AMD 285 CPU with 4GB of ram and 4 hard drives 1TB each. I used a Windows XP x64 on the server and It dos have Windows 2003 server drivers. My question is: dos WHS come in x64bit flavor or only in 32bit? I would want to utilize full potential from the server. All computers in my home are on 1GB network cards.

Thank you for your help. Paul.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:03 AM

• Hello Olaf.
    This is in the wrong plaice probably.

I have the SuperMicro A+ Server 1020P-TB (it has a hardware RAID), running 2 AMD 285 CPU with 4GB of ram and 4 hard drives 1TB each. I used a Windows XP x64 on the server and It dos have Windows 2003 server drivers. My question is: dos WHS come in x64bit flavor or only in 32bit? I would want to utilize full potential from the server. All computers in my home are on 1GB network cards.

Thank you for your help. Paul.

WHS is 32-bit only.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:46 AM