WHS Console stays blank RRS feed

All replies

• Hi Max,
    if you login on the server locally (or via Remote Desktop), can you start the console from there?
    In Control Panel/Administrative Tools also check the Event Viewer for related error messages.
    Is the server self built?
    If so, has it an NVidia video card? In this case this FAQ could apply.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hi Olaf,
    Yes via remote desktop I can start the console from there. It is not a self built server it is an Acer Aspire 340 Home server.
    I will have to look for the video card, don't know it by heart.

Max
    Friday, December 25, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Hi Max,
    OEM machines as the Acer should not be affected by the video card driver issue.
    Since you can start the console from the server directly, could be a security software involved in the communication between server and client, which blocks some necessary ports with its own firewall.
    Which security suite is installed on the client (or on the server)?
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

I have on my windows 7 client Microsoft Security Essentials and on the server the mcAffee that came with the Acer. I think before PP3 (not sure could be another update) everything worked fine.
    Max
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:48 PM
  • Hi Max,
    which file date have the msi files on the server in the folder Home Server Connector Software in the Software share?
    If it is a current date (October 2009) what happens, if you run the installation on one client from this share manually running setup.exe?
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Hi Olaf,
    Thanks for your reactions. I tried this on one PC but still blank/gray screen after succesfull uninstall-install. Would it have to do something with the .Net framework?

Max
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:02 PM
  • Hi Max,
    can you check the event logs of the server and the client, if there are related error messages or warnings?
    You could also try to remove the Mc Affee software from the server.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:56 PM
  • was this problem resolved.  I have the same server and same problem.  All of the suggested approaches do not work.  I am seeing .NET Runtime error in the event log that seem to map to when this happens.  can anyone help me?
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:42 PM
  • Hi David - helping sure, but you provide a lack of information - and my crystal balls are out for maintenance ;-)
    Could be helpful to see the logged error in detail.
    Did you install any add-ins or perform changes on the desktop level of your server?
    Did the problem happen immediatly after such action (or an Windows Update)?
    Can you reach the server website via http://yourservername:55000?

Olaf
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:27 PM
  • I have seen this error a lot, the only solution is to restart the server I found. 

The error seems to happen mostly with heavy load on the server. As I moved to better and better machines the error almost disappeared.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Sorry for not getting good details.  Let me try and provide some more

I got this machine from the OEM (ACER) and the add in I have installed is the KeepVault backup, but I have experienced this problem before I did that.  I can not tell what is causing it, but the suggestion from tbjerret below is possible.  The only way to fix it is reboot.

This is the error message round .NET, but I have no way of knowing if it really is the issue

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5000
    Date:  2/23/2010
    Time:  6:02:47 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: CAUFIELDHOME
    Description:
    EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.argumentoutofrange, P10 NIL.

Friday, February 26, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Rebooting is all that works for me as well.  I need to see if load has anything to do with it.  My machine was built by the OEM (ACER), so a better machine is not really an option.  I just want it to work.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Hi David,
    excatly this problem we had also in the German forums with WHS from Acer.
    The workaround was to change the interval of the Acer hardware monitoring tool to a much higher value, since the very high frequency of queries seems to take up too many ressources in certain situations (i.e.  if large files are involved in backup process).
    To do this, logon via Remote Desktop to the console.
    Open the file %windir%\system32\whsinfo.xml in notepad and change the xml attribute distancetime to 1000 or higher (some people used 10000). The visible drawbacks of this workaround are, that the CPU usage is not longer well reflected in the console, and that changing other settings will also reset this change in the xml file.

Olaf
    Friday, February 26, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Thanks,  I will give this a try. 
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 2:59 AM