Workflow to send e-mail to multiple related contacts RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom entity that has a 1:N relationship to 'Contacts'.  I am trying to setup a workflow that will notify the related contacts when a change has occurred to the base entity.  I can get to the 'To:' on the email in workflow, but cannot see anywhere to setup to send to mutliple related contacts?

Do I need a custom workflow action for something like this?

correction:  This is a N:N relationship to contacts, not 1:N

Monday, March 22, 2010 5:43 PM

Answers

• Don't think there is a good CRM centric way to do this, so I plan to use SQL Agent to query the filtered views for changes to the entity, then send notifications through SQL Mail.  Not necessarily the best way to do it, but a good workaround for now.

Maybe CRM5 will have something like this?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:33 PM

All replies

• Yes you need to write a custom workflow to send emails, crm  doesn't support Multiselect Lookup fields for email through workflow.
    http://www.allaboutdynamics.com
    Monday, March 22, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Are there any good examples out there on how to do this, or something similar?
    Monday, March 22, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Please check this URL. This explains how can you can workflow for N:N relationship..

Hope this helps..

Monday, March 22, 2010 7:39 PM
  • This one is really, really close to what I need, but not quite.  Since the N:N relationship is to the contact, i have to put the child workflow on the contact.  But then I have no way to pass details about the  original entity to the email.  Starting to look like I may need to create a special workflow activity.  Just can't believe that this hasn't come up before. :)
    Monday, March 22, 2010 11:12 PM
  • Don't think there is a good CRM centric way to do this, so I plan to use SQL Agent to query the filtered views for changes to the entity, then send notifications through SQL Mail.  Not necessarily the best way to do it, but a good workaround for now.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:32 PM

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:33 PM