Server not visible in Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, you are my THIRD transfer from MS.  It seems no one wants to try a solution to this problem:

Since the Win 10 version 1511 upgrade, my HP Mediasmart server and Seagate NAS drive are not visible to this computer (Intel Core i7-4770, Intel Desktop Board DH87MC motherboard, Intel HD 5000 Graphics, 32 Gb RAM) which is connected by cable to the Linksys WRT1900AC wireless router.  The Mediasmart server and Seagate NAS drive are connected to the router by a cable, also.  Neither device is visible in Windows Explorer.  I can see them in the Network graphics pane in Windows Explorer but trying to access either results in a device not found or unavailable message.

The Windows Home Server Connector still works and the nightly backups are still being done on this computer.  I can use the Seagate remote software to get to the NAS drive.  My Surface PRO 3, a second computer in another room, my HP laptop and my cell phone can all see and access the two devices via wireless connection.  The Mediasmart and NAS are also visible in the router's display of connected devices.

What happened?  I have done restarts and completely powered off the computer, rebooted the router, restarted the Mediasmart server and maybe a few other things all to no avail.  Is there some way I can get these devices back to Windows Explorer?

Turner

Turner

As an addendum, I have tried reinstalling the Home Server Connector to this computer and received the error dialog that the server could not be found.
    • Edited by TFMorgan Monday, January 4, 2016 1:11 AM
    Sunday, January 3, 2016 6:25 PM

Answers

• Olaf,

Thanks for the response.  I checked all sorts of things, the firewall, rebooted the server, rebooted the router, etc. and FINALLY found the solution.  After the "upgrade" to this 1511 upgrade of Windows 10, I had problems getting the Hyper-V session I used for running XP connected to the outside world.  I "fixed" it by creating another Ethernet bridge for the Hyper-V session.  It was after this that my server and other outside connection went away.  I just deleted that bridge using the Network Settings and all my connections returned.  However, the Hyper-V session is deaf and dumb to the outside world but that is all right as I really don't need it.

Thanks again,

Turner

Turner

• Marked as answer by TFMorgan Monday, March 7, 2016 6:22 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 6:22 PM

All replies

• Could be Firewall issues. How are your network settings for the network in network and sharing center, has it been selected as private or as public network? Is network discovery enabled?

Can you ping your Windows Home Server from a command prompt by entering

ping name of your server

or

ping IP address of the server

What is the output?

Please check, if the settings are properly according to the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server .

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, March 7, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for the response.  I checked all sorts of things, the firewall, rebooted the server, rebooted the router, etc. and FINALLY found the solution.  After the "upgrade" to this 1511 upgrade of Windows 10, I had problems getting the Hyper-V session I used for running XP connected to the outside world.  I "fixed" it by creating another Ethernet bridge for the Hyper-V session.  It was after this that my server and other outside connection went away.  I just deleted that bridge using the Network Settings and all my connections returned.  However, the Hyper-V session is deaf and dumb to the outside world but that is all right as I really don't need it.

Thanks again,

Turner

Turner

• Marked as answer by TFMorgan Monday, March 7, 2016 6:22 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 6:22 PM