Help Help Help!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Dear friends,

I got a really tough situation here. We have two PWA sites (Project Server 2010). And all of a sudden, the navigation in pwa1 was linked to pwa2. And all the projects in pwa1 cannot be opened via Project Web App, it says I don’t have enough permission, but I’m the PWA owner and I created all the project files. However, when I open them with project professional, everything is fine. It really drives me crazy since all the employees in my company cannot open their project now and the navigation is messed up.  

I also noticed that when I try to sync AD group, the page was expired once I click ‘Find Group’. Maybe this has something to do with this situation? But since our normal SharePoint works well, I suppose our AD is fine.

I really need your help us this. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:50 AM

Answers

• In the future, use a more descriptive subject name.  This helps others in determining if the topic is something they are familiar with.  "Help, Help, Help" sounds urgent and probably requires a call to MS for tech support.

I would talk with your network administrators and see if they changed any DNS names or anything that may change the director of DNS to different servers.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Problem resolved. We used SharePoint Manager 2010 open our PWA1 site for further research, and we found the property PWAURL in it has been changed to PWA2, so I changed it back and everything works fine now. Although I still couldn't find out how it became wrong in the first place, but at least I know how to make it right in the future. So I'm OK with that and hope this will be helpful to someone who encounters the same problem :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,

• Marked as answer by Niki C Friday, July 1, 2011 7:13 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:13 AM

All replies

• Is this perhaps a network problem? If the two sites are on separate servers then try using the IP addresses of the two sites in the connection urls rather than the machine names.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:34 AM
  • I have seen this issue before and unfortunately had to recover Content, Draft, Published, Reporting and Archive DB. It has something to do with two instances on same content databases. I assume your both PWA1 and PWA2 are on same content database. This happened to my client when he edited his test environment quick launch and it updated quick launch for PWA1 to show all navigation of PWA2. All projects and resources were in correct environment it is just the navigation that got messed up.  I will recommend opening a support ticket with Microsoft.
    Thanks Gaurav Wason MCITP, PMP
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:50 AM
  • In the future, use a more descriptive subject name.  This helps others in determining if the topic is something they are familiar with.  "Help, Help, Help" sounds urgent and probably requires a call to MS for tech support.

I would talk with your network administrators and see if they changed any DNS names or anything that may change the director of DNS to different servers.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help. Our two PWA sites are under the same Project Server Service Application and I was wondering if it was caused by our two PWA sites are both end with 'pwa', and the server got confused? Anyway, as a temporary solution, we removed the content DB of PWA2 since it is less important than PWA1 and it won't spent us lots of time to rebuild it. Now the navigation is recovered and the project can be opened via PWA. But one wired thing is that when I open the project which will lead to the schedule.aspx page, the navigation was disappeared. The left zone is blank…It’s really annoying but I cannot figure out how to get it back. Any idea?

Friday, July 1, 2011 3:54 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Problem resolved. We used SharePoint Manager 2010 open our PWA1 site for further research, and we found the property PWAURL in it has been changed to PWA2, so I changed it back and everything works fine now. Although I still couldn't find out how it became wrong in the first place, but at least I know how to make it right in the future. So I'm OK with that and hope this will be helpful to someone who encounters the same problem :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,

• Marked as answer by Niki C Friday, July 1, 2011 7:13 AM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:13 AM