none
Best certification that suits my profile RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2+ years of work experience in .NET 4.0 /3.5 , C# and WPF application development at a leading MNC.  Now I’m looking forward to improve my professional career with certifications.

I’m thinking of developer certification

1.  MCPD- windows application developer- VS2010.  But I’m worrying about validity of  certification.  Because VS2013 is the market now.  How far this certification helps me in improving my career?
    2. MCSD- I am confused to select the appropriate exam for professional developer on windows application development.

I am aware of only these two certifications.

Please suggest me the certification which improves my professional career.

Thanks in advance.

-Dheeraj

• Edited by Dheeraj v Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:21 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:20 AM

Answers

• The following is only my opinion. I am also a .NET developer and have the old MCSD and MCPD titles. I am working on the MCSD for Web apps right now.

I recommend you go for the Windows Desktop MCPD title for .NET 4.0. There is no comparable certification for MCSD, other than the Windows Store front apps certifications (a completely different architecture).

One big advantage of the MCPD over the MCSD - you get to keep the MCPD VS 2010 Windows Developer title forever. This is not true for the MCSD title! It requires you to recertify every two years - ridiculous!

Here is Microsoft's latest statement (February, 2013) that the VS2010/.NET 4.0 exams will not be retired until further notice. However, note that other members of the MS certification team have stated in other blog entries that some may retire on July 31st, 2014. They are being flaky about this. You should try to pass all MCPD required exams before July, 2014 - just in case.
    http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2013/02/08/update-on-visual-studio-2010-exam-retirement-dates.aspx#fbid=JIJW6cK-_Sz

If you are considering making the career move to building apps using SharePoint, ASP.NET MVC, or Storefront Apps (JS or C#), then maybe the MCSD title is a better choice for you.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:33 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• The following is only my opinion. I am also a .NET developer and have the old MCSD and MCPD titles. I am working on the MCSD for Web apps right now.

I recommend you go for the Windows Desktop MCPD title for .NET 4.0. There is no comparable certification for MCSD, other than the Windows Store front apps certifications (a completely different architecture).

One big advantage of the MCPD over the MCSD - you get to keep the MCPD VS 2010 Windows Developer title forever. This is not true for the MCSD title! It requires you to recertify every two years - ridiculous!

Here is Microsoft's latest statement (February, 2013) that the VS2010/.NET 4.0 exams will not be retired until further notice. However, note that other members of the MS certification team have stated in other blog entries that some may retire on July 31st, 2014. They are being flaky about this. You should try to pass all MCPD required exams before July, 2014 - just in case.
    http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2013/02/08/update-on-visual-studio-2010-exam-retirement-dates.aspx#fbid=JIJW6cK-_Sz

If you are considering making the career move to building apps using SharePoint, ASP.NET MVC, or Storefront Apps (JS or C#), then maybe the MCSD title is a better choice for you.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you  Davin Mickelson for your valuble suggestion.

I ll go with MCPD.

-Dheeraj

Friday, November 8, 2013 12:22 PM