Can I use both SATA and PATA drives? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am thinking of building the WHS computer on my own. Want to have four drives, and I would prefer all SATA. However cheap motherboards usually support only two SATA and provide options for PATA. Can I use both types of drive in Home Server? Or Does any one know or suggest a cheap (under $75.00) MoBo that can work with WHS and has four SATA? Thanks
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 5:02 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can use both.

There are some potential issues that you should be aware of, though. If you use both SATA and PATA, you should make sure that your largest drive is on the interface that the BIOS presents first (usually PATA). And to take advantage of the performance enhancements in your SATA interface (such as NCQ) you may need to supply drivers for the SATA interface when you install Windows Home Server. You shouldn't need to do so if you configure your SATA interface for legacy IDE mode, though, and in the real world you won't see any significant performance gain from the more advanced features, so I wouldn't bother with them.
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Here you go:
    Abit IB9.  LGA775 (P4/PD/Celeron; no Core2Duo), 4x SATA 3.0, 2x IDE channels, gigabit Ethernet, onboard video, and Server 2003 drivers are available:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127018R

$47

Some searching at NewEgg could find you another board, if this oen doesn't tickle your fancy (or, if you're looking for different processor support.)

Monday, December 17, 2007 12:11 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can use both.

There are some potential issues that you should be aware of, though. If you use both SATA and PATA, you should make sure that your largest drive is on the interface that the BIOS presents first (usually PATA). And to take advantage of the performance enhancements in your SATA interface (such as NCQ) you may need to supply drivers for the SATA interface when you install Windows Home Server. You shouldn't need to do so if you configure your SATA interface for legacy IDE mode, though, and in the real world you won't see any significant performance gain from the more advanced features, so I wouldn't bother with them.
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:46 PM
  • My WHS box is a Dell Dimension GX260 - it does not have SATA on the mobo. I bought a PCI SATA interface card that can handle two SATA drives.  I have my system drive on IDE along with two other hard drives and two SATA drives for a total of 5 drives.  So you can use both but sorry, I don't know of a cheap mobo that fits your specs - you would also want it to have Gig ethernet but that is pretty standard these days.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Here you go:
    Abit IB9.  LGA775 (P4/PD/Celeron; no Core2Duo), 4x SATA 3.0, 2x IDE channels, gigabit Ethernet, onboard video, and Server 2003 drivers are available:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127018R

$47

Some searching at NewEgg could find you another board, if this oen doesn't tickle your fancy (or, if you're looking for different processor support.)

Monday, December 17, 2007 12:11 AM