Server Connector password Problem RRS feed

• Question

• After installing PP1 I can only install the Home Server Connector on 1 computer.  All attempts to install on the other 3 PCs fails.  The response is "Incorrect Password".  I know the password is correct since I can log on via Remote Desktop.  Since I was able to install on 1 computer with the password I don't understand why I am getting this error.  The 3 computers giving me the error were fine befor the PP1 install.

Any Thoughts ???
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:16 PM

All replies

• After installing PP1 I can only install the Home Server Connector on 1 computer.  All attempts to install on the other 3 PCs fails.  The response is "Incorrect Password".  I know the password is correct since I can log on via Remote Desktop.  Since I was able to install on 1 computer with the password I don't understand why I am getting this error.  The 3 computers giving me the error were fine befor the PP1 install.

Any Thoughts ???

First, are you sure it's Power Pack 1 you're talking about (and not Power Pack 2)?  What are the component numbers visible from the one computer you were able to upgrade (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Monday, May 25, 2009 4:48 PM

Any Thoughts ???

In addition to what kariya21 asked below, what operating systems are on the three clients where the install fails due to the password? We have two known issues in the forums.

The first is here but if you can connect with one client, it is more than likely not the same issue.
    The second issue is here and is related to Windows 7.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Just today I experienced the same behavior - one new PC rejected the password instantly during installation of the Connector software. Using Remote Desktop with the same password worked, also older configured PCs.
    I checked the event log of the server and found DCOM errors stating, that the Internet Guest account has no local activation permissions for a service, given by a GUID. Searching the registry for that GUID did result in finding the WHS Transport Service.
    So I opened Component Services in Control Panel/Administrative Tools on the server, navigated down to the DCOM node in the Computer part and changed the properties for the WHSTransportService to allow that local activation part for the IUSR_Server account. (This was only necessary on one of my Home Servers, so maybe it was a side effect of the Windows SharePoint Services SP3, which I applied around the same time as the Power Pack 2 to that system - and which is an unsupported usage of WHS.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:34 PM