none
Cannot install home server connector on a home server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.
    Have been seaching posts and blogs for an answer to this question but I could not find anyone with the exact problem. I recently reinstalled my OEM WHS on a Dell Optiplex which is working fine. Prior to the install I had removed my connector software from my laptop. When trying to reinstall the connector software with the CD, from a download from MS of from the software folder of my server I get the error message "CANNOT INSTALL HOME SERVER CONNECTOR ON A HOME SERVER". Essentially, there is something on my laptop that is telling the install that it is a server and not a laptop client. Help plz. Thnks.
    • Moved by Whosane002 Monday, December 14, 2009 7:18 PM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile Feedback)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:48 AM

All replies

• What operating system is installed on the laptop?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:54 PM
  • I have never seen this message for a client system before.
    You did not mix up a fullscreen remote desktop session to your home server with the local session on the client?

Sometimes a reboot of server and client may help.
    The recommended method to install the connector software would be from your home server via http://yourservername:55000

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Thanks for the replies. I am running Vista on an HP. It had worked before but I unistalled it using the add/remove programs. After reinstalling WHS on my server, I am unable to load the connector software either from the server software folder, a direct copy then exe to the client or from the downloaded version from MS. Going crazy on this one, day two...
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Hi,
    would copying the contents of the folder \\yourservername\software\home server connector software to the local desktop and running the setup program after right clicking it As Administrator work?
    Is the folder C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server empty?
    You may also try to delete the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server .
    What is the value of ProductID and ProductName in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion on the client?
    Did you at any time implement a hack on your client, which makes it believe it is a server, i.e. to enable software RAID functionality? Such changes could have unexepected side effects as well.

If all does not help to find the cause, I would recommend to issue a bug report on Connect as described in the linked thread.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:36 AM