Manager Views of team work - RRS feed

• Question

• We are well into a multi-team pilot involving onshore, offshore and cross-team projects. All teams are managing projects and updating hours via PWA.

With each new team who adopts I get the same requests for the following Use Case:

I am a 'Development or Test Team Leader' and I want to view my 'Team's Assignments' so that I can 'Reassign tasks to my team members using Project Web Access'

• A single Project Manager is managing the Project file. The original Estimates and Assignments are procured through various means from the 'Team Leads' - including TFS, Excell, etc.. (we aren't using SubProjects).
    • Many Team Leads would like to see the 'Calendar View' of thier teams task - but PWA only has the owners.
    • They can view the Schedule in various views but are unable to do anything but ask the Project Manager to make the changes.
    • I tried setting up a Basic RBS to test the scenario but it didn't work (Team Leader saw no additional information)

Are there ways to achieve any or all of these goals using other configurations such as RBS, Delegation, Assignement Owner or other?

I have looked in a few books but they are all pretty basic and don't really have advanced PWA use cases...

• Changed type Alexander.Burton Friday, September 24, 2010 9:08 PM Changing to Question from Discussion
    Friday, September 24, 2010 3:24 AM

Answers

• The Team Assignment Pool is the way to go here.  The team lead is set up as the Default Assignment Owner and then they should see both their own tasks and that of the Team in the My Tasks page.  The team lead can then reassign as needed.  This would be Hans Option 2.

The overall PM will still need to accept these reassignments and republish the plan at some point.  However, the reassignment, I believe, shows up on the new assignee's My Task page immediately.  We actually had a usage scenario where the PM is on vacation for two days and a reassignment has to occur.  The overall PM could also setup an autoapproval rule to autoapprove these team lead changes.  However, the publish won't happen automatically and the reporting won't be updated until project publish.

Hope this helps.

--Treb

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Meretrix,

Find below some ideas to work with team assignments

1. Create a resource for each team (but do not mark the resource as 'Team Assignment Pool'), and set the 'Default Assignment Owner' to the Team Leader. All assignments made for this 'team resource' are now available on the 'My Tasks' page of the Team Laeder, where he can use the Calendar (and other) views to view all the assignments. Assignments can be reassigned using the Reassign button
    2. Same scenario as above, but now mark the Team Resource as 'Team Assignment Pool'. This enables all other resources belonging to the team to take ownership of the team assignments from within the My Tasks page
    3. Same scenario as 1 or 2, but this time, make sure the team resource is it's own Default Assignment Owner. Setup delegation for the Team Leader to manage the team's asignments.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Friday, September 24, 2010 6:41 AM
  • The Team Assignment Pool is the way to go here.  The team lead is set up as the Default Assignment Owner and then they should see both their own tasks and that of the Team in the My Tasks page.  The team lead can then reassign as needed.  This would be Hans Option 2.

The overall PM will still need to accept these reassignments and republish the plan at some point.  However, the reassignment, I believe, shows up on the new assignee's My Task page immediately.  We actually had a usage scenario where the PM is on vacation for two days and a reassignment has to occur.  The overall PM could also setup an autoapproval rule to autoapprove these team lead changes.  However, the publish won't happen automatically and the reporting won't be updated until project publish.

Hope this helps.

--Treb

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:15 PM