Reinstall WHS on new hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Hopfully an easily answered newbie question.

My current WHS server is running on some old hardware. I want to replace the hardware and not lose any of my data. I've been manually (don't think there is an automated way) backing up the server to an external hard drive.

As I understand it, this backup should contain all my shared folders as well as all the PC backups. Is this correct?

My question is: how do I do an install on fresh hardware and then restore all the data either from this backup or another method.

Thanks,

Bill

Friday, May 14, 2010 10:28 AM

Answers

• The backup, if you've been using the Windows Home Server server back feature, will contain only the server shares. By design, the backup database is considered sacrificial, since you presumably have the computers you're backing up. As for restoring it, you would connect it to your new server and restore the shares.

If you've been using some other method for backing up your server, it's of your own devising and presumably you've already got a restoration plan to follow.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by GabBill Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:44 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Yes, it is. Windows Home Server has also detailed information about restoring backup in it's help.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 14, 2010 9:39 PM

All replies

• The backup, if you've been using the Windows Home Server server back feature, will contain only the server shares. By design, the backup database is considered sacrificial, since you presumably have the computers you're backing up. As for restoring it, you would connect it to your new server and restore the shares.

If you've been using some other method for backing up your server, it's of your own devising and presumably you've already got a restoration plan to follow.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 14, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Thanks for the info, Ken. I suppose it's a pretty small risk to the PCs as long as the shares are secure. Is the restore of the shares to the server as easy as the backup?

Bill

Friday, May 14, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Yes, it is. Windows Home Server has also detailed information about restoring backup in it's help.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 14, 2010 9:39 PM