none
Beginners Forum

General discussion

• Since I have been here, I have noticed a lot of newbie's (myself included). My job dictated that I learn basic programming (in my case VB)and learn it as fast as possible, I'm still not an expert but being able research the forums here has been a big help. One thing I found is that when starting out from scratch, it can be extremely overwhelming. Trying to find other posts without knowing the proper terminology, trying to learn code just by looking at it, figuring out what it does by trial and error. My thanks to those with patience that helped me.

What I am wondering is if there is a way to create a forum specifically for beginner's.

A place where a beginner can post a question when they can't figure out where it's really suppose to be.

Contain ideas for beginner projects, and how to get started.

Although these could be posted somewhere else, Basic questions could be answered here and then copied/moved to the correct location.

If it is for beginner's, most (I think) would start here, both searching and posting, before posting a question that has already been answered.

Just an idea, I know if I had seen it when I first started it would have been my first stop.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi gspeed316

The forums are designed to be used by beginners as well as advanced experts.

If you look at the top right corner of any page, you will see a link "Need help with forums? (FAQ)"  which contains a ton of information about using the forums, including searching and how to use every aspect of the forums.

Don't be shy about letting evryone know that you are new to programming and want to learn. Everybody posting here started at that same place.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:23 PM
  • The other thing against beginner's forums is that it automatically reduces the number of people who read the posts.

This could possibly (probably?) lead to forums where Beginners help Beginners which isn't always that good an idea.

Mike Walsh

FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:54 AM
  • The issue I have is developers responding with answers that are perfectly clear--if you're a developer. I point out in every question I post that I'm NOT. I have a fair amount of knowledge but it's a little frustrating when someone assumes a specific knowledge level and leaves out some really important information or step that would have been helpful. Recently I posted a question about a retrieving a value and using it in a subsequent test, and the responder left out an important part of the overall answer (UIMap.share in Coded UI Test) which was also information that wasn't readily available elsewhere. But what can one do? It's a forum, you get what you get...
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:14 PM