Looking to confirm my plan for drive usage RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to dive into comitting to my build for repurposing an older desktop I retired a few years ago with an OEM copy of WHS.  Before I commit to my build and start production usage, I wanted to double-check how the drives I'm planning to use should be utilized.

I will have 3 drives total to start:

2 1TB Seagate 7200.11 drives

1 250GB Maxtor drive (this is the main system drive from when it was a regular desktop)

If I'm reading the documentation from the WHS team correctly, I should use one of the 1TB drives as the system drive during install, correct?  It seems this is the best way to future proof future growth as it will allow for a signifigantly sized primary data partition to hold tombstone records as I add more drives down the road.  I would then use the other 1TB and the 250GB for duplication and additional storage as needed.

I just want to confirm that a 1TB drive INSTEAD of the 250GB drive should be used (ideally) as the system drive before I start.

Thanks!

KD

Monday, June 30, 2008 2:12 AM

Answers

• Keith

Yes, you should have your "largest" drive as your primary.

Andrew

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:16 AM

All replies

• Keith

Yes, you should have your "largest" drive as your primary.

Andrew

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:16 AM
  • Also check that you can get Server 2003 drivers for the system and extras you intend to repurpose. Although you may be able to use XP drivers, there have been numerous cases on here, of XP drivers creating nebulous hiccups.

Colin

Monday, June 30, 2008 6:02 PM