Windows Home Server on MSDN Subscriber Downloads? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard anymore about WHS potentially being offered on MSDN Subscriber downloads?

I attended PDC last October and I specifically asked a couple of Devs and they told me that it definately was coming soon to subscriber downloads. Since then I've seen no evidence of that. The last message on the MSDN blog I can find is from last Feb where they said they asked the WHS team, but got told it wasn't going to be put up there.

I implore the WHS team to get the current WHS up there. There are many of us who want to play with WHS add-in development and want to build a dev homeserver specifically for testing. For the record, I have a purchased MediaSmart server at home, but there is no way I am going to put a load of untested/beta quality add-ins onto my live box for testing.
    I know I can use the 120 day evaluation or purchase an OEM version of WHS - but if I'm going to spend the $8000 for Visual Studio Team System with MSDN, I don't want to be nickled and dimed on WHS.

Sorry if I've (re)opened a can of worms! I just want to know one way or another...

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:08 PM

Answers

• Richard Morton said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard anymore about WHS potentially being offered on MSDN Subscriber downloads?

I attended PDC last October and I specifically asked a couple of Devs and they told me that it definately was coming soon to subscriber downloads. Since then I've seen no evidence of that. The last message on the MSDN blog I can find is from last Feb where they said they asked the WHS team, but got told it wasn't going to be put up there.

I implore the WHS team to get the current WHS up there. There are many of us who want to play with WHS add-in development and want to build a dev homeserver specifically for testing. For the record, I have a purchased MediaSmart server at home, but there is no way I am going to put a load of untested/beta quality add-ins onto my live box for testing.
    I know I can use the 120 day evaluation or purchase an OEM version of WHS - but if I'm going to spend the $8000 for Visual Studio Team System with MSDN, I don't want to be nickled and dimed on WHS.

Sorry if I've (re)opened a can of worms! I just want to know one way or another...

The team answered here.

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:06 PM

All replies

• Richard Morton said:

Hi everyone,

The team answered here.

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Brilliant news! Thank you.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:02 PM