none
Reason Field not Visible When I Edit a Reply RRS feed

• Question

• I just edited a previous reply of mine and found that I cannot enter a reason. The box for reason is not visible. There was only a sliver of the submit and cancel buttons visible. I had to guess which was the submit button to make my change.

When entering this question, I find I cannot enter a title. I don't know if I will be able to submit this without a title.

I notice that all code blocks now use a fixed width font. Fantastic. That is much better. Thanks.

Update: I was warned about the title when I attempted to submit, and was then able to enter the title.

This is a test to see if I can edit a reply. It seems I can, nad the Reason box is visible. However, I cannot enter anything in the box.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:24 AM

Answers

• Great, so the bug here is that the edit, submit, reason field (the post's controls user interface elements) are hiddent behind the next post's header? We'll take a look. This is really weird, we haven't seen this at all. We are looking into the gears issue. If people see that ctrl F5 should recache the files. Not sure why this is 'sometimes' happening for people.

Community Forums Program Manager

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:01 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• These might have been a hiccup during today’s release. Please, see this post

I just tried all those scenarios and they are working fine. Please, reply back if you are still having issues.

Thanks for reporting.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:36 AM
  • I have been logged into the forums all day, so that may have been a factor. However, I logged out and restated IE, then attempted to edit my question above. This time the reason box and the two buttons were visible, but I was unable to enter a reason. I could not bring the focus into the box. I notice a few other minor hitches. I'm using Windows 7 and IE 9. Maybe I should wait a bit.

A New line added as a test. But still not able to enter a reason. Also, the reason box is below the heading for Brent's reply!!

Another new line added as a test, after restarting my Computer. I am still unable to enter a reason for the edit. Since no one else has reported this, the problem must be specific to me.

Final attempt to edit and enter a reason. I find I can only enter a reason if I tab into the reason box. I cannot click in the box. In fact, now I cannot even see the reason box, or either of the buttons (submit and cancel). If this edit works, it is because I was able to tab into the buttons.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:50 AM
  • Yeah, things were sketchy for a while, with resource files and javascripts taking a while to get recached etc. Things should mostly be ok now.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:52 AM
    Answerer
  • OK, my last edit above was ridiculus (the edit with the reason "This is a test, this is only a test"). In the sandbox I was able to figure out how to enter a reason for an edit, but tabbing into the reason box. I could not click on the box. When I made the edit above, not only was the reason box not visible, the submit and cancel buttons were not visible. I think they were under the blue banner for Brent's last reply. I entered my edit,  then tabbed 4 times (blindly) to get to the Reason box. Then I blindly entered text  (I was lucky I made no typos because I saw nothing). Then I backed up 2 tabs to where I figured the submit button must be and pressed Enter. It worked, but only by blind luck. Again, I'm on Windows 7 with IE 9. Am I really the only person with this problem? I've restarted my computer 3 times since I first posted this question.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:25 PM
  • I'm on Windows 7 with IE 9. Am I really the only person with this problem?

For a workaround you could try using  Alt-V,y,N   and then see boxes, etc at the bottom.

Let me try and verify that...

---

• Edited by Robert Aldwinckle on forums Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:11 AM Typing in a full size Reason box while No Style is in effect (but it wasn't at the bottom).
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:09 AM
  • I was just able to edit a reply in the forum I moderate no problem, including the reason. That's the first time it worked as expected for me since the update. But I just tried again in this thread and had the same problem. The reason box was in the next reply. I could see it but not click in it (I could tab into it), so I canceled.

Nothing happens when I enter Alt-V. What is that a shortcut for?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:45 AM
  • Ok, I figured out Alt-V, Y, N. However, I lost control of IE and had to close. The insertion point was constantly blinking and can do nothing. In the last day I have seen so many wierd things I've lost track.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:16 AM
  • I can't reproduce. Is it working now?

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:57 PM
    Owner
  • Here is what I see when I edit my last reply above:

I tried to "Insert Image" of a jpg showing what I see. If this doesn't show up after I click submit, then I don't know how to insert an image.

I cannot click in the reason box to give it the focus. By trial and error I found I can tab into the reason box and enter a reason. At first, the reason box was hidden under the banner for the next reply, but now it shows up below it.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Seriously, I've wasted 20 minutes trying to insert an image. Is there an FAQ describing how to do it?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Use +Update button at the top. It should have been named 'Upload', it was already mentioned that this button's name is a bug.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:36 PM
  • I'll try again. The below image is a 78 kb jpeg of what I saw when I attempted to edit my reply:

Thank Naomi. I never would have figured that out.

I notice that the reason box is in a slightly different place, depending on the size of my reply. I now have a theory that if the reply I'm editing is the right size, the box will still be hidden by the banner for the next reply.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:45 PM
  • I confirmed my theory. In the below image the Reason box and the Submit and Cancel buttons are hidden. I was able to edit the reply by tabbing 4 times (blindly) into the Reason field. I blindly typed a reason, then back tabbed twice to where the Submit button should be and pressed Enter. It worked:

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Great, so the bug here is that the edit, submit, reason field (the post's controls user interface elements) are hiddent behind the next post's header? We'll take a look. This is really weird, we haven't seen this at all. We are looking into the gears issue. If people see that ctrl F5 should recache the files. Not sure why this is 'sometimes' happening for people.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:01 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes Brent. However, it is also the case that even if the reason box is visible, I cannot click in the box. I must tab into it. Not always, but often (for me). I'm probably OK if my reply is the last one in the thread (no other reply to interfere).

Update: I just made about 10 attempts to duplicate the problem. No problem. The reason box is always visible, never in the next reply, and I can always click in the box. I'm sure I had the problem as recently as late yesterday, after restarting IE and my computer many times since the update. For the moment, I think the problem went away for me.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Try coming to this thread from your activity list in profile and see if the problem is still there.

My blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:20 PM
  • No problem, even when I come from my activity list. I edited several of my replies above, with reasons. Does ctrl f5 do something that doesn't happen when you restart IE (or restart the computer)? I never did that. Could that be the cause of my (and perhaps other people's) problems?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Ctrl + F5 is supposed to get fresh copy of the page. So, if you have buffered copy of the page saved, hitting Ctrl+F5 may help. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) FireFox and other browsers may be too good at caching and even Ctrl+F5 will not help. Deleting all temp internet files then may help.

My blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:35 PM
  • BTW, I've just checked this thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverpowershell/thread/b2efd70e-87a4-489c-abd2-98ad16025aba The look is completely different than from MSDN. Originally I got 2 gear icons, but hitting Ctrl+F5 there helped to get them as normal.

My blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Wait, I just realized that ctrl-F5 is the same as refresh (I'm not an IE expert). I click refresh in IE all the time. That can't explain why the problem seems to have gone away for me. I'm thinking Microsoft / MSDN / Technet, and how you get to a thread (activity list or recent threads) makes some difference.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Actually, ctrl F5 forces a refresh. Default ie refresh likely just conforms to IE's cache page settings, usually to rely on cache regardless of how many times you click refresh, unless you change that setting in ie options. I have had problems with various browser cache for years ctrl F5 usually helps and certainly cleaning cache completely is something I do regularly.

Friday, February 17, 2012 3:17 AM
    Answerer