Green Server - @ < 20W ? Possible or Dream RRS feed

• General discussion

• thanks to PC Pro (UK Magazine) for first public preview of WHS appliance - T7-HSA

the preview can be seen here : http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/121499/tranquil-t7hsa.html

thanks all in this forum for comment / feedback / critique - as we said - we wanted the listen / respond.

Once we start shipping next month we'll be down to 16W (not 20W) in peak power.  Surely the greenest of all servers ?

Save data sure ......... save power, save cash too !

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:10 PM

All replies

• This is a brilliant system, great power requirements will help sell these units.

I would request a larger model myself and I am sure Tranquil will develop one. My problem is having space for 1 HDD, while great for total power consumption, requires us to buy external USB/eSata/Firewire drives to add to the server.....this is a problem as you then add the HDD, bridge board, and seperate inefficient power block. There goes the power usage stats. If you can keep everything internal, but perhaps easily accessible, then you are onto a winner.

Imagine this system with 4 x internal 1TB HDD, power usage at 50w, duplication and plenty of space for a large media oriented family. I could live with that as the outright purchase and setup will last for a number of years without upgrade hopefully.

I think the main problem with most business/Inductry is the constant upgrade and manufacture of new/better items at a cost to the environment. IE how long will your LCD TV last compared to your old CRT...which one uses more power? But that is the way of the world.

Tranquil keep up the good work and I hope this system is a success for you.

Cheers

DB

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:42 PM
  • Of the 16 core requirements for OEMs, this unit passes 8 of them, fails on 7, and I'm not sure about the other 1. This is nothing more than a low power PC (which I'll admit does a great job as such) with WHS installed on it.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:24 PM
  •  

Thank you for your feedback.  According to MS WHS OEM build guide this unit does meet the required criteria.  It could well be there is another 'list' somewhere that you refer to - and we welcome sight of that list, for comparison purposes.

This is indeed a low power PC,with WHS installed - but no ordinary PC, as reviews indicate.  Here we aim to deliver an alternative - a choice, and low power consumption seems to be a consideration for a growing number of home users today.

At the end of the day, the unit works (period)

We hope other global players will follow suit and consider the supply of 'ultra low power' appliances, and supply goods not only fit for purpose, but with due thought towards the ground swell of need for environmental awareness.  

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:34 AM
  • I Don't beleive the 20 Watt claim. Assuming that you are using a VIA CN13000 (specifications of your system indicate this board) which idles at 14.793 Watts and a Western Digital WD5000AACS (AFAIK this is the lowest power 500GB HDD) which idles at 4 watts, you would need a power supply with 94% efficiancy just to keep under 20 watts at idle. Once the hard drive is accessed you will be over 20 watts regardless of power supply efficiancy.

I sent an email to the Tech Zone mailbox. I think you are building your sytems to "System Builder" requirements and not the "OEM" requirements.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 7:20 AM
  • I'm with mcebrowned on this one. Given the exchange rate right now (pund to dollar) I wouldn't buy a first gen unit. I'll wait until you've had time to engineer a box designed to be a WHS from the ground up. I also want the ability to add new internal HDD's since I've got enough power bricks already and I don't want to add 3-4 more in addition to the one required for the WHS.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 2:22 PM
  •  

I do not see how 20 watts would be a nuff power, I know there is no mointor or video card, but is this even possible to run with 20 Watts?.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:32 PM
  • a video card IS required btw.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 2:55 PM
  • According to documentation I've seen (from July), video hardware isn't required, it's just recommended.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 5:14 PM
  •  Telstar wrote:
    a video card IS required btw.

Incorrect video card is not required, the HP WHS has on video out.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 5:34 PM
  •  Richard A Miller wrote:

Telstar wrote:

A GPU is Required.

External video connectors are not allowed.

Internal video headers are reccomended.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:12 PM
  •  Richard A Miller wrote:

Telstar wrote:

The HP units have video, that is only accessable thru a special board that is only available to HP techs, and MS.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 10:25 PM
  • Isn't this something of a moot point as it relates to the Tranquil machine?  Maybe I mis-read the review, but I'm pretty sure it said that there *is* integrated graphics which would make sense as most of these C7 motherboard/CPU combos have such.

Just my 2 cents.

Friday, September 7, 2007 1:04 AM