CRM 4 Data Migration Manager Couldn't Pass Sign In RRS feed

• Question

• Installed DMM on a 32-bit SQL server (not the CRM database server which is 64-bit) successfully. But After clicking on Sign In, The progress bar moves for a while at the Syncronizing with the Microsoft Dynamic Server..., then stops and return to the initial screen of sign in.

Searched the forums and made sure the DMM is the same version as the CRM server, the user has all the privileges and all the core entity names (display names) are the same as the default (a couple entities' display names were changed, changed those back and published). Tried using SQL express as well with no luck.

Any help/insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Friday, May 29, 2009 6:58 PM

Answers

• Update - Finally passed the configuration and got DMM configured. Publish all customizations made my day. Thanks to Don Chang from Microsoft.

Here’s what I gathered/learned during installation/configuration of DMM:

1.      Configuration of DMM (after DMM installation) will fail if DMM is using a 64-bit SQL Server 2005. You’ll get and error message while DMM attempts to connect to the SQL Server: “Failed to determine the SQL server data root path for CRM instance”.

2.      Microsoft recommends installing DMM on a workstation and using a local SQL Express database. They have discovered that DMM have issues with SQL Server instances and SQL in general.

3.      Do not install DMM on the CRM server. Uninstalling DMM will break the CRM Async service. You will need to run a repair on your CRM install and reapply all your KBs.

4.      Make sure your DMM is the same version as your CRM server.

5.      Make sure the user install/configure the DMM has full access license and has a security role of System Administrator. Also make sure the First Name and Last Name is populated and it is not blank.

6.      Make sure the user installs the DMM is in the local administrator group on the machine you are installing the DMM.

7.      Do not name any of your custom entities the same name as any of the core CRM entities.

8.      Publishing all customizations before configuring the DMM.

9.      If you still have problems, it’s recommended running a platform trace on the server side to see the errors that may be registered. You can download the CRMDiagToo4 from this site: htt://blogs.msdn.com/benlec/pages/Microsoft-crm-support-tools-download-page.aspx

Hope this will help someone else installing/configuring the DMM.

Xidan

• Marked as answer by XidanZ Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:22 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:22 PM

All replies

• Can you see any error in the event log of SQL server?

Jim

Jim Wang - MVP Dynamics CRM - http://jianwang.blogspot.com , http://mscrm.cn
    Friday, May 29, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Hi,

We had the same problem. There are two reasons of that behavior of DMM: one is using different build versions of DDM and CRM 4.0 and the other one is the fact that there are some duplicate localized labels. The problem is solved in Rollup 4 that contains the fix described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950266/ In our case Rollup 4 helped to solve the problem indeed.

I hope it will help you too,
    Kuba Skalbania
    -- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Jim, 

Here are some messages in the application log on the SQL Server 2005 (32-bit) box where I installed/configured the DMM:

After the information massege of "Product: Microsoft Dynamic CRM Data Migration Manager -- Installation completed successfully.", and "Starting up database: 'MSCRM_MIGRATION', is the error message: 

Source  MSSQLSERVER
    Category  Server
    Event  3221242679

FileMgr::StartLogFiles: Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.) occurred while creating or opening file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\msde_v4_MSCRM_log.LDF'. Diagnose and correct the operating system error, and retry the operation.

followed by this message:

Source  MSSQLSERVER
    Category  Server
    Event  1073747006

New log file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\MSCRM_MIGRATION_log.LDF' was created.

Another warning message follows:

Source  MSCRMOfflineSync
    Category  (0)
    Event  2147489649

An unexpected result was returned during Offline Synchronization. Truncating all replicated tables and OfflineQueue table in MSDE.

It's strange that MSDE came up since I used SQL Server 2005. 

Thanks for your help. 

Monday, June 1, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Kuba,

I upgraded both the CRM server and the DMM to Update Rollup 4, so they are of the same version. I'm glad Rollup 4 helped you, I'm still struggling to get DMM to work. Thanks for your reply.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Can you try install DMM on other computer?
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:41 AM
  • Yes, I installed DMM on a Vista workstation with SQL Express, same result. Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Update - Finally passed the configuration and got DMM configured. Publish all customizations made my day. Thanks to Don Chang from Microsoft.

Here’s what I gathered/learned during installation/configuration of DMM:

1.      Configuration of DMM (after DMM installation) will fail if DMM is using a 64-bit SQL Server 2005. You’ll get and error message while DMM attempts to connect to the SQL Server: “Failed to determine the SQL server data root path for CRM instance”.

2.      Microsoft recommends installing DMM on a workstation and using a local SQL Express database. They have discovered that DMM have issues with SQL Server instances and SQL in general.

3.      Do not install DMM on the CRM server. Uninstalling DMM will break the CRM Async service. You will need to run a repair on your CRM install and reapply all your KBs.

4.      Make sure your DMM is the same version as your CRM server.

5.      Make sure the user install/configure the DMM has full access license and has a security role of System Administrator. Also make sure the First Name and Last Name is populated and it is not blank.

6.      Make sure the user installs the DMM is in the local administrator group on the machine you are installing the DMM.

7.      Do not name any of your custom entities the same name as any of the core CRM entities.

8.      Publishing all customizations before configuring the DMM.

9.      If you still have problems, it’s recommended running a platform trace on the server side to see the errors that may be registered. You can download the CRMDiagToo4 from this site: htt://blogs.msdn.com/benlec/pages/Microsoft-crm-support-tools-download-page.aspx

Hope this will help someone else installing/configuring the DMM.

Xidan

• Marked as answer by XidanZ Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:22 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

I have a virtual machine with the following:

• Windows 2008 Server Standard Edition with SP2
    • SQL Server 2008 R2 32-bit
    • CRM 4.0 32-bit
    • Data Migration Manager
    • Rollup 11 installed

DMM is not being able Sign In from the initial screen. Any help appreciated.

Naveed Saqib
    http://www.allaboutcrm.net/blogs

Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:07 AM
  • The issue is resolved. I was missing the Rollup update for DMM once it was installed DMM is working fine.

Naveed Saqib
    http://www.allaboutcrm.net/blogs

Sunday, June 27, 2010 5:59 AM
  • Dear All,

I have the same issue.

After reading various posts, I installed on 32-bit. Also I chosen option during the installation I chosen Use SQL Express option. Then I installed Rollup Updates 6, 7,11 for DMClient. Still showing the same issue. I am able to access CRM from this machine. Also I am having domain administrator privileges. The problem is showing the same. Trace also it shows the same message.

Error: The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server is not available. Make Sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try openeing it in Internet Explorer.

FULL TRACE:

11:50:37|   Info| === Managed setup logging started: 6/28/2010 11:50:37 AM ===
    11:50:37|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Config.DMClient.DMClientConfig.Initialize
    11:50:37|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Initialize
    11:50:37|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Initialize
    11:50:37|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Config.DMClient.DMClientConfig.Initialize
    11:50:37|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Config.DMClient.DMClientConfig.Run
    11:50:37|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Run
    11:50:37|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Run
    11:50:37|Verbose| Installing version component: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Migration Manager\DMClient\ConfigWizard\..\bin\crmverclient.dll
    11:50:37|Verbose| Installing version: 4.0.7333.2862
    11:50:37|Verbose| Installing lcid: 1033
    11:50:37|Verbose| Existing version: 4.0.7333.3
    11:50:37|Verbose| Existing lcid: 1033
    11:51:12|Warning| The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM server is not available. Make sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try opening it in Internet Explorer., Warning, OK, Option1
    11:51:15|   Info| InputResult: OK
    11:51:38|Warning| The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM server is not available. Make sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try opening it in Internet Explorer., Warning, OK, Option1
    11:51:57|   Info| InputResult: OK
    11:52:20|Warning| The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM server is not available. Make sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try opening it in Internet Explorer., Warning, OK, Option1
    11:52:27|   Info| InputResult: OK
    11:52:54|Warning| The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM server is not available. Make sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try opening it in Internet Explorer., Warning, OK, Option1
    11:52:58|   Info| InputResult: OK
    11:53:41|Warning| The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM server is not available. Make sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try opening it in Internet Explorer., Warning, OK, Option1
    11:54:53|   Info| InputResult: OK
    11:55:49|Warning| The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM server is not available. Make sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try opening it in Internet Explorer., Warning, OK, Option1
    11:55:52|   Info| InputResult: OK
    12:01:06|Warning| The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM server is not available. Make sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try opening it in Internet Explorer., Warning, OK, Option1
    12:01:08|   Info| InputResult: OK
    12:01:10|   Info| If you continue, you will be unable to use Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Data Migration Manager until you configure it for your Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server. Do you want to continue?, Question, YesNo, Option2
    12:01:12|   Info| InputResult: Yes
    12:01:12|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Config.DMClient.DMClientConfig.Terminate
    12:01:12|   Info| Exit code: Failure
    12:01:12|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Config.DMClient.DMClientConfig.Terminate
    12:01:12|   Info| === Managed setup logging stopped: 6/28/2010 12:01:12 PM ===
    12:02:04|   Info| === Managed setup logging started: 6/28/2010 12:02:04 PM ===
    12:02:04|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Config.DMClient.DMClientConfig.Initialize
    12:02:04|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Initialize
    12:02:04|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Initialize
    12:02:04|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Config.DMClient.DMClientConfig.Initialize
    12:02:04|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Config.DMClient.DMClientConfig.Run
    12:02:04|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Run
    12:02:04|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupBase.Run
    12:02:04|Verbose| Installing version component: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Migration Manager\DMClient\ConfigWizard\..\bin\crmverclient.dll
    12:02:04|Verbose| Installing version: 4.0.7333.2862
    12:02:04|Verbose| Installing lcid: 1033
    12:02:04|Verbose| Existing version: 4.0.7333.3
    12:02:04|Verbose| Existing lcid: 1033
    12:06:30|Warning| The specified Microsoft Dynamics CRM server is not available. Make sure that the URL is correct. To test the URL, try opening it in Internet Explorer., Warning, OK, Option1
    12:07:50|   Info| InputResult: OK
    12:07:53|   Info| If you continue, you will be unable to use Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Data Migration Manager until you configure it for your Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server. Do you want to continue?, Question, YesNo, Option2
    12:07:54|   Info| InputResult: Yes
    12:07:54|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Config.DMClient.DMClientConfig.Terminate
    12:07:54|   Info| Exit code: Failure
    12:07:54|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Config.DMClient.DMClientConfig.Terminate
    12:07:54|   Info| === Managed setup logging stopped: 6/28/2010 12:07:54 PM ===

Kindly let me know the solution.

Monday, June 28, 2010 10:14 AM