Comparing Money 2004 and Money 2005 QFE2 RRS feed

• Question

• Thank you. That's very reassuring. I don't particularly want to change versions as 2004 is what I'm used to. But it's nice to know 2005 is there if I lose my 2004 programme disc and the installation gets corrupted. Are you aware of any advantage in using 2005 over 2004 (I seem to recall that 2005 has no extra features over 2004)?
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:23 PM

All replies

• There are no noticeable advantages to using QFE2, apart from the sound. For now, QFE2 will retrieve share prices but I am sure that will stop eventually. The user interface is rather different and may need a little acclimatisation,

The QFE2 releases are only recently issued, so although there is no support from Microsoft I think they are likely to be more compatible with upcoming Windows versions.

Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Thanks Dominic. The fact that pricing is still working on QFE2 is a plus - I lost it on M2004v12 earlier in the year and haven't had the confidence to use any of the workaround automatic pricing aps on offer. It's not the end of the world but automatic pricing is a benefit at the margin. It just means that I only bother to reprice my portfolio manually once a month - and frankly this has not proved a problem! I think I may try a careful (reversible) "upgrade" to QFE2 and see what happens. Do 2005 data files also use the .mny tag (ie can I distinguish 2005 files from 2004 ones on my hard disk?)
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Hi. Assuming I don't go down the virtual machine route, does that mean I have to uninstall the older version before installing the new?
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 6:38 PM
  • 1. It is possible to have Money 2004 and Money 2005 installed at the same time. If you wanted to do that, you may want to copy your *.mny file to Woking5.mny (or some other unique name), and let Money 2005 convert that file. However the Money 2005, being the latest installed, would have the Windows file associations with MNY, MBF, QIF and OFX files. To do things with Money 2004, you would launch Money 2004. That would open its most recently used file. To do restores, or switch files, you would use the selection under the File menu.

2. To have both installed, I think you need to pay *careful* attention during the install to not have Money 2005 uninstall Money 2004 during installation.

3. I will probably split this thread on comparison of Money 2004 and 2005 to a separate thread.

Saturday, December 3, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Thanks Dominic, Cal. I keep archive backups (ie each back up I do has a unique name) and I would like to preserve access to 2004 in the event I need to access a historic (2004) backup (I know, unlikely but you never know). I'll probably give it a go next week sometime and tell you how I get on
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:26 PM