Future Hard Drive Size Limits fo WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• A poster from Microsoft previously stated:

"When it comes to storage, the “Format a Hard Disk” wizard will only create partitions that are up to 2TB in size. For example: If you connect a 4 TB un-initialized HDD and run the “Format a Hard Disk” wizard (the link to run this wizard is in the new un-initialized disk alert that will be raised when the disk is connected) you will end up with a GPT disk with 2 2TB NTFS partitions. The reason we made this decision is due to a technical limitation in server backup. Server backup utilizes VHDs and since VHDs are implemented with 512 byte sectors, the maximum size it can support is ~2TB. We wanted to insure the user could backup any of the drives we created with our wizards."

Does Microsoft have any plans to remove this limitation in future updates to WHS 2011?  It seems extremely short-sighted to release a high end consumer product that does not support all available hard drive sizes on initial product release.  Please consider correcting this.  Again, does Microsoft have plans to remove this limitation?

Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:43 PM

Answers

• The limitation in server backup is the deciding factor. Until server backup changes (which requires a change to the core OS, not to Windows Home Server, and so isn't likely before the next version of Windows at best) I would expect this limitation in how drives are used to remain. Note that:

• The limitation in server backup prevents backing up more than 2 TB of data at one time, which is likely to be more of a problem (or a problem for more users, anyway) than creating multiple 2 TB partitions on drives. To back up more than 2 TB of data regularly, you will have to learn how to create scheduled tasks on your server and how to use wbadmin, the command-line interface to Windows Server backup.
    • A future version of Windows Home Server, based on the Windows 8 core (or some future Windows core) is unlikely to ship in less than about 2-3 years from now, so you likely won't see this addressed any time soon.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Bob Marso Friday, November 25, 2011 7:38 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 2:37 AM

All replies

• The limitation in server backup is the deciding factor. Until server backup changes (which requires a change to the core OS, not to Windows Home Server, and so isn't likely before the next version of Windows at best) I would expect this limitation in how drives are used to remain. Note that:

• The limitation in server backup prevents backing up more than 2 TB of data at one time, which is likely to be more of a problem (or a problem for more users, anyway) than creating multiple 2 TB partitions on drives. To back up more than 2 TB of data regularly, you will have to learn how to create scheduled tasks on your server and how to use wbadmin, the command-line interface to Windows Server backup.
    • A future version of Windows Home Server, based on the Windows 8 core (or some future Windows core) is unlikely to ship in less than about 2-3 years from now, so you likely won't see this addressed any time soon.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Bob Marso Friday, November 25, 2011 7:38 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 2:37 AM
  • @Ken

Is there such a backup file limitation for WHS V1 ??

Thanks

Friday, November 25, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Thank you Ken.  I'll start reading about wbadmin.

• Edited by Bob Marso Friday, November 25, 2011 7:40 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 7:38 PM