Web API OAuth Authentication Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to create an back end data integration between Dynamics 2016 and my multi-tenant software. I'd like to leverage the REST-based Web API and I need to support both self-hosted IFD configurations and Dynamics 2016 Cloud. 

To build this, I plan on creating UX screens inside of the application that enables the connector on a per-tenant basis, and a windows service that would call out the Web API that sits on one of my servers, external to Dynamics.

I have a few questions at the outset:

I noticed I have to create a clientID in Azure Active Directory in order to get an access token for the Web API. I'm a little unclear on this:

- For my dev instance (an IFD self-hosted), do I create a new Azure account and set this up?

- For each of my customers that wish to leverage this integration, would they create a client ID in their own Active Directories? Would there be different setup steps for IFD vs. Cloud?

- Does the OAuth flow only support a flow that requires user interaction to authorize, or is there a password grant type that will let me authenticate entirely in the back end?

Thank you!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:30 PM