Invalid Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my copy of Windows XP Professional with SP2 (OEM) with my computer from a store on amazon.com. Windows activated fine right after install. Then I start the update process to get up to SP3. After downloading the WGA update the process was halted when I got the "The product key found on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft." messege. I ran the diagnostic program:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JWCH9-XH7JJ-XPTPG
    Windows Product Key Hash: 9QBQtAUXMw2tI8h8v7QTfyA6V4o=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-011-4997587-22285
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {67E95744-CC3F-4A26-AD65-7B1C6F5A1205}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{67E95744-CC3F-4A26-AD65-7B1C6F5A1205}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0019.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XPTPG</PKey><PID>76487-011-4997587-22285</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-789336058-1957994488-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1204   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20091119000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>8BA233F701847B7B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>US Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 145A0:ASUSTeK Computer Inc
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I have a RAID setup and the CD didn't have the correct RAID drivers, so I had to slipstream them into a new CD. There were no problems with the install.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:44 AM

Answers

• Hello Brandobot,

Your first sentence had all the clues:  "I bought my copy of Windows XP Professional with SP2 (OEM) [a] with my computer from a store on amazon.com [b]."

[a]  You purchased a copy of Windows XP Pro (OEM), but the mgadiag report says that what was installed was a retail copy of XP Pro.  I made the assumption that you knew the difference between the packaging for OEM license kits for XP Pro and the packaging for retail license kits for XP Pro.  OEM kits are a hologram CD in a plain envelope and a blue user guide thin pamphlet shrinkwrapped together, with a Certificate of Authenticity label with poduct key stuck to the outside of the shrinkwrap.  Retail license kits come in a nice pretty plastic coated paperboard blue box that you would find on the shelves of major retailers like Best Buy, Frys, etc.; the CoA without product key is on the outer box top, and the hologrammed CD is on the inside in a pretty platic coated paperboard folder, and the product key is on a yellow-orange label on the back of this paperboard folder

And what's worse, the product key is reporting as Invalid, meaning that the software pirates used a Key Generator pirating program to cook up a product key that would fit the algorithm used by Setup to check product keys, but since this product key was never actually issue by Microsoft, the WGA system did not find it in the Microsoft product key database, so it was clasified as Invalid.

[b]  You purchased this copy from an Amazon store, which are independent operations not regulated or monitored in any way by Amazon themselves.  These online stores and those on auction style sites are infamous for peddling counterfeit product.

To answer your question about not having to reinstall Windows, yes there is a utility called the product key updater http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668 that may be able to convert the current nongenuine XP Pro to a genuine XP Pro, but my personal advice would be to do a clean installation complete with repartitioning and reformatting the hard disk drive.  Who knows what kind of malware, trojans, backdoors, and rootkits the counterfeit XP disc installed on your computer?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Brandobot Monday, February 15, 2010 1:41 PM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hello Brandobot,

You were sold nongenuine software.  Happens all the time at internet auction sites and on no-name software seller sites.

Please contact the seller to arrange for return and a full refund.  After you get your refund, report the seller to www.microsoft.com/piracy

Before making another purchase, please carefully review the information at www.howtotell.com

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Brandobot Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Brandobot Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:35 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:36 PM
  • So I can make this determination in the future, how did you come to this conclusion?

Also, once I buy a genuine license, is there any way I can get out of having to re-install windows?

Thank you for the info!
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Hello Brandobot,

Your first sentence had all the clues:  "I bought my copy of Windows XP Professional with SP2 (OEM) [a] with my computer from a store on amazon.com [b]."

[a]  You purchased a copy of Windows XP Pro (OEM), but the mgadiag report says that what was installed was a retail copy of XP Pro.  I made the assumption that you knew the difference between the packaging for OEM license kits for XP Pro and the packaging for retail license kits for XP Pro.  OEM kits are a hologram CD in a plain envelope and a blue user guide thin pamphlet shrinkwrapped together, with a Certificate of Authenticity label with poduct key stuck to the outside of the shrinkwrap.  Retail license kits come in a nice pretty plastic coated paperboard blue box that you would find on the shelves of major retailers like Best Buy, Frys, etc.; the CoA without product key is on the outer box top, and the hologrammed CD is on the inside in a pretty platic coated paperboard folder, and the product key is on a yellow-orange label on the back of this paperboard folder

And what's worse, the product key is reporting as Invalid, meaning that the software pirates used a Key Generator pirating program to cook up a product key that would fit the algorithm used by Setup to check product keys, but since this product key was never actually issue by Microsoft, the WGA system did not find it in the Microsoft product key database, so it was clasified as Invalid.

[b]  You purchased this copy from an Amazon store, which are independent operations not regulated or monitored in any way by Amazon themselves.  These online stores and those on auction style sites are infamous for peddling counterfeit product.

To answer your question about not having to reinstall Windows, yes there is a utility called the product key updater http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668 that may be able to convert the current nongenuine XP Pro to a genuine XP Pro, but my personal advice would be to do a clean installation complete with repartitioning and reformatting the hard disk drive.  Who knows what kind of malware, trojans, backdoors, and rootkits the counterfeit XP disc installed on your computer?
    • Marked as answer by Brandobot Monday, February 15, 2010 1:41 PM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Ah, I thought the "retail" in the diagnostic might have meant as much. Thank you for all your help. I think with all the trouble the pirates cause me, and all the trouble Microsoft causes me trying to catch the pirates, I'm going to see how Ubuntu deals with my system.
    Thanks again!
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Hello Brandobot,

If you can't get your money back from the seller, you can submit your materials to Microsoft for evaluation as high quality counterfeit materials.  If they are judged to be such, Microsoft will replace the counterfeit with Genuine for free.  See the FAQ:
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EFIAC

If you want to participate, click on the Learn More Online link the Notifier is showing you, then look for the links to apply for the Complimentary Windows Offer.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:04 PM