none
How do I activate my Money Plus? RRS feed

• Question

• No matter what new money management programs come out, I still like Microsoft Money Plus the best for basic record-keeping. Recently got a new desktop and a new laptop, both running Windows 10.  Money Plus installed with no problems and is functioning just fine.  However, I keep getting a pop-up reminding me I need to register the program.  Since the program is no longer supported and there are no online connections, I figured I could ignore this.  Today, as I got a pop-up saying I need to register within 15 days, I dug out my CD holder and did type the activation product key into the spaces provided.  When I clicked "Activate", I got a message that it could not be activated.  Can I continue to simply ignore the warning or is the program (along with all my data) going to lock up in 15 days?  If I do need to activate, does anyone know how or where I can do so?

Thank you very much!

LindaWV

Friday, February 26, 2016 5:04 PM

All replies

• You are getting the "could not be activated" message because Microsoft has shut down the activation servers.

The good news is that Money Plus is available as a free download and no activation is required.  Look at the second "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

and download and install US Money Sunset.

Because you are running Windows 10, there is an additional step.  Look at the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

It describes the need to replace the mnyob99.dll file with a patched version and points to this site:

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/windows-8-64-bit-version-compatibility-with-sunset-money/

which contains instructions on how to do the replacement and this link to a download of the patched file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zj0amk06ax57cfg/mnyob99.dll

When on that page, be careful to just download just the mnyob99.dll file (9.09Mb).  The other links are for different programs.

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Monday, February 29, 2016 4:51 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2016 6:07 PM
  • Thank you very much, Bill.  I have printed off your recommendations and will try them all on Monday.  I have seen the Sunset program mentioned before but didn't think I needed it since I have the original purchased program and installation disk.  I wonder what will/would happen when I get to the end of the "activation" period.  Will my computer explode???  :-)

Thanks again,

LindaWV

Saturday, February 27, 2016 4:45 PM
  • No explosions in your future, - at least not form Microsoft Money.  I expect that Money will just refuse to open.  Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

Saturday, February 27, 2016 4:48 PM
  • I followed your instructions step-by-step this morning, Bill, and Money is now opening and closing without the activation warning.  I assume that means I am good to go.  I am so very appreciative of your help.  Never, ever, in a trillion years would I have solved this on my own.  Thank you for the help!

LindaWV

Monday, February 29, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Something I noticed after following the instructions!  I have two new computers (Windows 10), but in different locations.  After I followed the steps above to install and patch the Sunset version of Money, I saw a weird window that would sometimes flash on the screen when I was shutting down.  I checked my installed programs and found this:

Fdrawcmd.sys 1.0.1.11  Simon Owen

Googled it for information.  Certainly wasn't something I had opted to install, or needed.  Some sources said it was spyware.  Not sure where the truth lies.

I wondered if this had somehow been installed when I followed the instructions for the patch.  To test that theory, I checked my installed programs on the other computer tonight before following the steps.  The Simon Owen program was not there.  After I did the steps, it was!  I uninstalled it on both computers and Money works just fine.  Just a heads up since so often "things" end up sneaking into our computers when we are downloading freeware.

LindaWV

Friday, March 11, 2016 1:04 AM
  • Thanks for update.  I have no clue as to how Fdrawcmd.sys is getting on your systems.  Maybe the Mediafire web site is downloading it along with the patched mnyob99.dll.  I don't see that when I do the download, and that would not explain how it was installed without your knowledge.

The good news is that you were able to uninstall it.  To be sure that there is nothing else amiss, I suggest running a full system scan with your internet security package (Microsoft Security Essentials, Norton, Kaspersky, etc.).  Another good option is to run a scan with Malwarebytes:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/trial/

which has a free version and has a good reputation.

Bill Becker

Friday, March 11, 2016 3:37 PM