Says I have wrong password to open backup file!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I just recently upgraded computers and when I reinstalled Money 2006 it will not let me open my backup file. It says that I have the wrong login or password but I am 100% sure they are right and I am able to log into windows live with the same login and password. Does anybody know how to through this problem? Thank you for any help!!!!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:43 AM

All replies

• I would go to the original computer and remove the LiveID in File->PasswordManager. Then copy the resulting *.mny file to the new computer. If you need to secure the file with a password, you can uses a conventional password in File->PasswordManager. 

If the old computer is not available, disconnect the new computer from the Internet (turn off the router etc). Then log in offline with the credentials in effect when the backup was made. Do not attempt to change the live ID. Instead, once into the file, remove the LiveID within Money in File->PasswordManager.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Thank you so much for your help but it seems to be that Windows 7 64 bit does not support Money 2006. I went and downloaded "Money Plus Sunset Deluxe" from the Microsoft download center and it recognized the password. I'm not sure if this is the solution for everybody but it sure helped me.

Thanks again for helping me with my problem!!!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:04 PM