Using {keyword} as part of a tracking URL RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me if {keyword} refers to what the user actually typed, or the keyword in your account that their search matched? For example, if a user types in 'blue widgets' and I have added 'widgets' to my Order, I would still expect my ad to show. But would the {keyword} parameter in this case show 'blue widgets' or 'widgets'?

Can I also clarify whether {keyword} can be used within the destination URL (e.g. as a tracking parameter)? Does this work whether you add it directly to the destination URL field, or add it to the {param1} dynamic text parameter?

BTW, I sent this query to customer support through our account, but the email was bounced.
    Thursday, November 2, 2006 12:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• "Can someone tell me if {keyword} refers to what the user actually typed, or the keyword in your account that their search matched?"
    {keyword} refers to the keyword in your account. Not the users search query.

"Can I also clarify whether {keyword} can be used within the destination URL (e.g. as a tracking parameter)? Does this work whether you add it directly to the destination URL field, or add it to the {param1} dynamic text parameter?"

Use the Keyword Destination URL {param1} rather than the {keyword}

P.S. This forum software sucks. PHPBB and VBulletin are much faster and more robust.

Thursday, November 2, 2006 4:18 PM
  • Hi lou31,

To build on what Jeremy said, you have two options here. One is to use {param1} to specify a different destination URL for each keyword.

You could also use the {keyword} param if you’d like the destination URL to be the same for all keywords. The keyword the user searched on would then be inserted into the URL into the reports on your side if you are using 3rd-party tracking software (note you would not see this in adCenter but only in reporting on your end). This would give you visibility into which keyword resulted in the click.

Also, on your first question, as Jeremy states correctly, "{keyword} refers to the keyword in your account. Not the users search query."

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Thursday, November 2, 2006 11:27 PM
  • You can also track the user's query string in the destination URL by using {QueryString}. There's a bunch of other information you can track in the destination URL, see this blog post: http://adcenterdev.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!40C96A663056EEA8!110.entry?_c11_blogpart_blogpart=blogview&_c=blogpart#permalink

Shai Kariv - MSFT

Saturday, November 4, 2006 12:39 AM
  • Shai,

I read this blog post is there more information on how to use the parameters?  Is there some more help somewhere?  Also, I use the AdCenter UI not an API and was thinking I could use the {QueryString} in my display url to get a better CTR.  Here is how I would set it up:

{keyword}

Exciting ad copy here

website.com/{QueryString}

Although most of my keywords are based on exact matches, so I right now I am using website.com/[keyword} to achieve the same effect. 

Now this brings me to a question on when my ad makes a match for an exact keyword.....  If my keyword is [free daily horoscope] and someon types in free daily horoscope help, since I had an exact match on the first three words of the query string will my ad show if I have it set for an exact match?  Is so then the website.com/{QueryString} should produce a better CTR then the website.com/[keyword}

Thanks,

Smile dave

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:02 PM