Suggestions (and a question) for Future Releases Regarding Back Ups RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am glad I saw the posts about types of files that Live Onecare will allow us to back up  prior to giving Live OneCare 2.0 complete control of my backups; I did not realise that the backup service would not back up executable files, of which I have a whole folder of executable programs that I would like to back up.

I will not harp on about it as I can clearly see that it is an issue that has been addressed many times by others (some of whom are rather angry to say the least).  Though I really can’t understand why MS have opted to not allow the backup of exe files.

I think Live Onecare 2.0 (I use Vista HP 64-bit) is a brilliant product and is much easier on system resources than other products.  Well done MS! I will continue to use it despite the abovementioned failing. 

All I was ask is that in the next version you allow us to back up any kind of files we wish, including exe.'s

Oh, I would like to ask one other thing about the back up; I notice that when files are backed up onto my USB HDD, it is stored in zipped files.  It would be very handy if a wordpad document was also saved to the destination drive that listed where each back up file is located; which zip file.  If I wish to locate one particular file I have to unzip all the folders.  I currently have 308 of them!  I suppose I could get round it by doing a search for the relevant file, but the wordpad list would be very handy.

Many thanks.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:49 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you have read the many posts regarding the disappointment in the backup selection criteria. I can't say that this feature will change, but with all of the feedback, perhaps we will see a change in the future.

To locate a particular backed up file, you really should be using the Restore function in OneCare. Select to perform a custom restore and then browse the list of files available to be restored and select the on you want. The interface for this could stand improvement, and I believe it is on the plate for revision in the future, but it works today. Opening the individual zipped files may not work for you if the file has been split by OneCare during backup and spans multiple archives.

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:20 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you have read the many posts regarding the disappointment in the backup selection criteria. I can't say that this feature will change, but with all of the feedback, perhaps we will see a change in the future.

To locate a particular backed up file, you really should be using the Restore function in OneCare. Select to perform a custom restore and then browse the list of files available to be restored and select the on you want. The interface for this could stand improvement, and I believe it is on the plate for revision in the future, but it works today. Opening the individual zipped files may not work for you if the file has been split by OneCare during backup and spans multiple archives.

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:20 AM
  • Though I am really on a quest to solve a common problem of WLOC failing well into a backup I am curious about the mention of file types WLOC Backup will NOT back up.

Is there a list?

If it encounters one will it fail or will it just go by it?

Can we cheat by changing the extensions prior to Backup?

Now, to my problem:

What exactly does it mean when an unknown problem prevents Backup from continuing after it has been running for some time? Why doesn't it know? Give me a clue!!!

I have tried narrowing it down by targeting the Backup to small slices on each run: Outlook files, then Pictures, then Documents, etc and it always dies somewhere.

In May I had this Case ID 1034279402 opened with MS OneCare and went through all the gyrations - uninstall, reninstall, cancel all other Startup tasks - it ran, so I guess it's not a file extensions problem. But it still fails with nornal Startup. I was told we would debug it further but my tech lost interest. Anyone wanna give it a go?

Dave

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:41 PM
  • I'll paste the entry from Instant Help for OneCare Backup File Types below.

It simply does not backup any files that are not included in the template for backup - there's no failure involved.

Yes, you can rename files and they will be backed up if your use a file type that is in your selection criteria. For example, rename file.exe to file.txt and it will be backed up if you select to backup "other" files.

If you had a case that ended without resolution in May, I'd suggest opening a new case with support and starting fresh.

----------------------------------------

Backup file types

The types of files that Windows Live OneCare version 2.0 can back up has changed since version 1.6. OneCare won't back up any files that are located in the Windows folder or the Program Files folder. In addition, version 2.0 can no longer back up the following file types:

• BAK
    • COM
    • DB
    • DLL
    • DRV
    • EXE
    • ICO
    • LNK
    • OST
    • QQQ
    • SYS
    • TMP