Make a field required based on a paticular Business Process? RRS feed

• Question

• Can I have certain fields (tied to an entity) required in 1 process and not in another process?

For example, I created a custom field called Specialty and made it required on the form per process 1.

However, in Process 2, I don't want that field to even show up on the form. 

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance. 

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes. You can have a different set of fields in the second process but keep in mind a business process does not equal form. You can remove the "Specialty" field from the second process but the form field will still be in the existing form. 

Ronald

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 11:35 PM
  • Hi Ronald, Thanks for the reply. Can I have 2 different forms...1 form for each process? And if I make the field required on 1 form, can I completely remove it from the 2nd form? My concern is a required field is required at the data level and that I can't remove it from the 2nd form? Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:55 AM
  • What (step) is required within the process before you could move to the next stage does not equal field level requirement within the form. A step can be required in a process stage without having the related field always being required. A required step displays a red asterisk the same as a business required field. However, the record can be saved without providing a value for a required process step. The user cannot continue to the next stage of the process without completing the step.

Ronald

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:29 AM
  • Hi, 

I think you can do this with below scenario. 

-Create optional field called Specialty.

-Then using javascript get active business process name then based on the active business process you can make this field as required. 

Refer below link to get information about Enabled business process. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/library/dn817865.aspx

//To get active stage
    Xrm.Page.data.process.getActiveStage().getName();
    //To make mandatory using javascript
    Xrm.Page.getAttribute(attrName).setRequiredLevel("required");

I Hope I could help. If I have answered please mark as 'Answer'. If was just helpful, please vote. Thanks and happy coding!, https://mydynamicsmscrm.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 7:40 AM