none
Back button behavior RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Suppose I filter unread threads. Then I go through this list. It used to be when I return back I still see the same threads (even those I already read). Today the behavior is different. Every time I press Back button there is some sort of the delay and then I see only the  threads I didn't read (the threads I just read disappear).

I am not sure I like that behavior - I notice the delay.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Every time I press Back button there is some sort of the delay and they I see only threads I didn't read (the threads I just read disappear).

That seems correct to me.  Unless you are using a "Don't check" cache-checking method and the entire page is cached (or you can get most of it by setting Work Offline before pressing Back) you will be going back to the server, so the server would be giving you what you were asking for: threads that you haven't read yet.   If you wanted to go back to the thread list exactly the way it was when you last used it the most reliable way to do that is to launch threads from it in their own windows or tabs.   Then instead of using Back to go back you simply close the tab or window for each thread.

---

Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:13 PM
  • There is a noticeable delay to get the 'fresh' list. It is a very recent change.

My blog

Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:29 PM
  • I would rather prefer to have original back button behavior. I don't want the Back button to do an extra server trip - I want to return to the exact same list as it was before my original action. If I want to refresh that list, I'll press needed button - I don't need it to be done for me.

My blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:34 PM
  • I middle click to open in new tabs. No back is needed.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:19 PM
    Owner
  • I don't want to use middle click and create more tabs. I prefer to work as I used to work. Why did the behavior change?

My blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:37 PM
  • BTW, the original behavior of the Back button of the browser is now back. But I already got used to that change of the behavior...

My blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:32 PM