• Question

• I constantly receive a message on my laptop (connected through a network) that indicates "The OneCare firewall is off. This PC may be at risk from INternet threats" on my main system.  When I look at OneCare on my main system, I find, "Status:Good."  How might I correct this incorrect Urgent message on my laptop?

Thanks for any help rendered,

Captain
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:11 PM

Answers

• I jumped the gun and replied incorrectly. Since the problem is appearing on a Hub machine from another machine in your Circle, you should read this thread:
    Incorrect Status & False Alarms

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:16 PM

All replies

• I jumped the gun and replied incorrectly. Since the problem is appearing on a Hub machine from another machine in your Circle, you should read this thread:
    Incorrect Status & False Alarms

-steve
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Thanks for your rapid response and follow-up, Stephen.  That's quite a thread going on this issue.  Bottom line, it looks like I'm up the proverbial creek with my problem.  I'll try reeading through the thread again, when I have sufficient time to do so to see if there are any nuggets that may help.  Again, thanks much.

Captain
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:02 PM
  • You're welcome. Unfortunately, there are no nuggets in the thread.
    Some people report that a reinstall of OneCare on the affected machine and/or the hub resolve it, though. I don't know that a definitive cause of the problem has ever been identified. I suspect that the communication between the PCs is somehow out of whack. Good luck to you. My advice, demote the PC that is acting as the Hub unless you are using Centralized backup with that PC hosting the backup location.
    -steve
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Thanks for the additional follow-up and feedback, Stephen.  I'll look into completing your additional advice.  I suppose this is more of a nuisance, than a show stopper.  I have bigger issues to address, like MS Word 2007 not responding and locking up.  To add insult to injury, this is on both my Dell XPS Desktop and Laptop.  I'll tackle those and then look into you welcomed suggestion on the firewall thingme a bit later.

Again, thanks, and have a great week end.

Captain

Friday, April 17, 2009 1:47 PM