Upgrading SYSTEM Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I setup my WHS using an old FORTY (40) gig drive (its all I had free at the time). I then swapped data around on antoher machine and freed up a 320 gig drive. I did the data thing again and theres another 200 gig drive in there, I have 2 more 320g drives and a couple of 200s still to go in using the same "shuffle" method. (another way to do this is to install the drive in the serve, but BEFORE you "add" the drive to the server storage, Remote desjktop into the server and move the data from "G:" (or whatever the new full drive shows up as) to the \\server\<sharename> folder. this empties your "new" drive as fast as possible and then when its empty you can easily add the drive to the storage.

My actual question here is, I want to upgrade my system drive. I have had the "your system volume has less than 5gb of free space" message, and I have also come across the "copying more files at one time than you have free space on your system drive" error.

I think this will work: GHOSTING the hard drive (using a different machine of course) from the 40gig to one of the 200g drives.
    whats the official response to this please? :)

Additonally it seems logical that simply replacing the drive and doing a repair install would also acomplish this feat. of course you would have to re create the user accounts and configure the PC connectors and backups again.

cheers

Russ
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 1:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• I don't have an official response, but here are my two cents.

1) It probably won't be a supported end user scenario

2) Regardless, it should work fine, ghosting/imaging has always worked for me in many different scenarios.

3)The repair install is designed to and should do what you suggest.

HTH

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Also not an official answer:

In Beta 2, you can't set the size of the system drive partition.  I have no idea if they will allow this to be set in a future beta, but it wouldn't hurt to put that suggestion in the proper forum :)

Kevin

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:06 PM
  • I'd really love to see a MS response to swapping out the system drive.  If it's not supported in Beta 2, fine.  As long as its on the "to do list" and makes it into the final product.

What about system drive failure?  Is WHS going to support mirroring of the system drive so I don't lose my whole box if the oldest drive in the system (the system drive I started with) decides to start failing?

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:12 PM
  • Hi guys,

The repair install is an awesome thing. I have a couple of things to say.

- Based on my initial post in this thread, I did indeed ghost my primary drive onto a 120gb drive and it worked perfectly. I plugged the "new" drive back into the HS and after a reboot (because Windows told me my "new hardware may not work properly until you have rebooted") all is well and I my free space has actually INcreased since the swap (93gb after the swap, over 100gb now)

- I havent tried it yet (currently setting up an XP box, on which I will install a WHS in a virtual machine) but I imagine that simply mirroring the C: and/or D: drive onto a second disk would work fine. If one drive dies than you replace it and re-mirror it. This would be easier I think, than a hardware raid setup (if a system builder puts two system drives in) for the end user to fix should a drive die.

- Maybe an option in the GUI to "duplicate system drive", that would use drive extender or some other method of copying up the entire disk. Then a system repair boot-from-the-dvd could hook into the "backup image" of the system drive and restore it onto the newly replaced primary drive.

OK, its late here and I should get to bed, need to work tomorrow, yada yada :)

cheers

Russ
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:55 PM
  • Some versions of Vista support a total system drive restore.

I did it with one of my Vista systems and it works great.

Seems pretty simple to implement into WHS.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:24 PM